Help with EI - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 4 Post By Diana

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help with EI

I recently got the EI package from GLA, I have been playing around on Yet another nutrient calc and have a few questions/ need advice.

I am going to be using 2 500ml bottles premixed for EI low light weekly, but was curious if there is a way to make one mixture for multiple sized tanks? The tanks will all be low tech no CO2 yet. I plan on supplementing with excel.

Also does anyone have good experience or recommendations on how many ML to dose/ use so everything dissolves correctly and does not go bad before used up.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 12:44 AM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
I don't have a correct ml dose for the various tanks, but, I use the same mix for 2 different sized tanks (PPS-Pro). Only variation is how much is added. Would think your situation would be the same other than finding the correct dose for each tank.

Bump: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/11...n-recipes.html
This might give you your best answer as to how much to dose for each tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 01:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I make a single mix (well, 2- one of macros and one of micros) and dose tanks from 3 gallons to 125 gallons.
Here is how I do it:

1) Add up all the gallons you will be dosing. Use this as 'tank size' in whatever calculator you are using.

2) Figure out how much of each nutrient you want to add for 2 weeks. (Regular EI dosing has 6 doses of macros and 6 doses of micros in 2 weeks)
Put that much of the fertilizers in your 2 containers.

3) Look at the total gallons, and divide by 3. Dose will be 1ml per 3 gallons of tank size each time you dose. In 2 weeks will you dose macros 6 times and micros 6 times? (Every other day dosing of regular EI). How many ml will that be?
Put that many ml of water in your 2 containers.

4) Per suggestion of a chemist friend, I add a pinch of citric acid to keep the mix acidic.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Minor variation: Do you want to put the Excel in these bottles?

1) Total gallons.

2) How much of each nutrient including excel
Put these into the appropriate bottles- I put Excel in both the micros and macros bottles.

3) Top off with water, so the total volume is in ml, and equals the number of gallons divided by 3. Example- if you had 2 tanks, a 15 and a 30 gallon, this is 45 gallons total of tanks, and you dose 6 times in 2 weeks, (45/3 x 6) you would put 90 ml of fluid in each bottle. Some of this fluid is Excel (see step 2). The rest is water.

4) Per suggestion of a chemist friend, I add a pinch of citric acid to keep the mix acidic.

Monday, Wednesday, Friday: the 15 gallon tank gets 5ml macros, and the 30 gallon tank gets 10ml macros.
Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday: the 15 gallon gets 5ml micros, and the 30 gallon gets 10ml micros.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is a bit more complex if you are running a high tech tank and a low tech tank, but the concept is the same:
High tech tank and low tech tank might both be dosed daily, but the high tech tank might get 1ml/3 gallons (as explained above), and the low tech 1ml/6 gallons (thus it gets half as much fertilizer).
1) Add up the gallons, but keep these methods separate: Add up all the low tech tanks to get one value, and add up all the high tech tanks to get a separate value.
2) Work through whatever calculator you want, using the 2 values figured out in step 1. How much ferts will you use in 2 weeks combining all the tanks? Put these in a bottle. (you can include Excel in this version, too, if you want)
2) How many times will you dose in 2 weeks? (Assume all methods get daily dosing, but the dose varies, so the answer here is still 6)
3) The tanks will have to be calculated separately to figure out how much fluid to place in each bottle. In the example we are using, add these values:
the low tech tank volume divided by 6 to get daily dose in ml, then multiplied by 6 to get 6 doses (2 weeks worth).
the high tech tank volume divided by 3 to get daily dose in ml, then multiplied by 6 to get 6 doses (2 weeks worth).
Put this much fluid in the bottles.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-06-2015, 10:01 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
I make a single mix (well, 2- one of macros and one of micros) and dose tanks from 3 gallons to 125 gallons.
Here is how I do it:

1) Add up all the gallons you will be dosing. Use this as 'tank size' in whatever calculator you are using.

2) Figure out how much of each nutrient you want to add for 2 weeks. (Regular EI dosing has 6 doses of macros and 6 doses of micros in 2 weeks)
Put that much of the fertilizers in your 2 containers.

3) Look at the total gallons, and divide by 3. Dose will be 1ml per 3 gallons of tank size each time you dose. In 2 weeks will you dose macros 6 times and micros 6 times? (Every other day dosing of regular EI). How many ml will that be?
Put that many ml of water in your 2 containers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Minor variation: Do you want to put the Excel in these bottles?

1) Total gallons.

2) How much of each nutrient including excel
Put these into the appropriate bottles- I put Excel in both the micros and macros bottles.

3) Top off with water, so the total volume is in ml, and equals the number of gallons divided by 3. Example- if you had 2 tanks, a 15 and a 30 gallon, this is 45 gallons total of tanks, and you dose 6 times in 2 weeks, (45/3 x 6) you would put 90 ml of fluid in each bottle. Some of this fluid is Excel (see step 2). The rest is water.

Monday, Wednesday, Friday: the 15 gallon tank gets 5ml macros, and the 30 gallon tank gets 10ml macros.
Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday: the 15 gallon gets 5ml micros, and the 30 gallon gets 10ml micros.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is a bit more complex if you are running a high tech tank and a low tech tank, but the concept is the same:
High tech tank and low tech tank might both be dosed daily, but the high tech tank might get 1ml/3 gallons (as explained above), and the low tech 1ml/6 gallons (thus it gets half as much fertilizer).
1) Add up the gallons, but keep these methods separate: Add up all the low tech tanks to get one value, and add up all the high tech tanks to get a separate value.
2) Work through whatever calculator you want, using the 2 values figured out in step 1. How much ferts will you use in 2 weeks combining all the tanks? Put these in a bottle. (you can include Excel in this version, too, if you want)
2) How many times will you dose in 2 weeks? (Assume all methods get daily dosing, but the dose varies, so the answer here is still 6)
3) The tanks will have to be calculated separately to figure out how much fluid to place in each bottle. In the example we are using, add these values:
the low tech tank volume divided by 6 to get daily dose in ml, then multiplied by 6 to get 6 doses (2 weeks worth).
the high tech tank volume divided by 3 to get daily dose in ml, then multiplied by 6 to get 6 doses (2 weeks worth).
Put this much fluid in the bottles.
Would this work for PPS-PRO also?

To determine my ferts, I divided the "normal" fertilizer amounts given for a 500ml bottle by 91 (the number of days the bottle would last). Then multiplied that amount by 14 (the number of doses in 2 weeks) to get my fertilizer amounts.
Then add the total Glute for 2 weeks.
To determine the amount of water to add I divided the number of gal by 3 and multiplied by 14 doses and subtracted the Glute.

Is that correct?

So my total tank volume is 54 gal and my Glute is 77ml. So the water added would be 175ml?

The PPS PRO already gives you the dose/gal but I would prefer to make up smaller amounts.

Doesn't the Glute prevent the CSM+B from developing moldy funkiness also??

Thanks for your help!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode