fertilizer help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
fertilizer help

I am new to the dry macro fertilizer dosing (i have always done flourish 3x week but my plants are all showing major potassium deficiencies so i thought i would start dosing the macros)

I had a question about the dosing regimen. i have read through many pages already and know that for my 55 gal i should do the 50% WC, 1/2 tsp kno3 3x week, 1/8 tsp kh2po4 3x week, 1/8 tsp k2so4 3x week, and trace 3x week( flourish in my case).

i was wondering ( i hope this isn't a stupid question.) but can i dose less, say 1/8 tsp of kh2po4 and k2so4 ONCE a week, and keep the trace 3x week like i always have, and avoid the 50% weekly WC and just stick to my 20% weekly WC that i am currently accustomed to. Will i still get enough macros in my system to maintain a properly planted tank. it is just difficult for me to change out 25 gallons of water weekly!!! i dont know how you guys and gals do it on the bigger tanks..

thanks for your input!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 01:24 AM
tug
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Hi chris,
As I understand it, the levels you dose should stay the same, only the frequency is reduced. It gets tricky when CO2 levels are lower then 20 ppm and the tank isn't heavily planted. I hope someone can help. Did you ever go to pressurized CO2?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Roll Your Own.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

im working on getting pressurized co2, saving up..maybe next month haha, i am pretty sure that my diy co2 levels are lower than 20 not sure exactly( got two 2liters going into a powerhead near the bottom of the tank "lots of tiny bubbles") , and i would consider my tank moderately planted, but soon to be heavily planted!!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 01:38 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
If your CO2 levels are not that high, and you don't want to do 50% water changes, you can easily cut the doses, in half for example. There isn't really a rigid number for that, since it depends on many things, like how densely planted, how much light, etc.

One thing you can do is to get a NO3 testkit and do some testing. Tap water, tank water, distilled water as reference, etc. Over the weeks you will get a very good handle on how much to dose without starving plants or turning things brackish.

Regarding water changes... A long hose does many magic things. You can build an easy contraption to hang over your tank, connect the hose, let it drain to a certain level, then connect the hose to a faucet and refill.

Or go semi or fully automated. There's a link in my sig showing one of the many possibilities for that.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
If your CO2 levels are not that high, and you don't want to do 50% water changes, you can easily cut the doses, in half for example. There isn't really a rigid number for that, since it depends on many things, like how densely planted, how much light, etc.

One thing you can do is to get a NO3 testkit and do some testing. Tap water, tank water, distilled water as reference, etc. Over the weeks you will get a very good handle on how much to dose without starving plants or turning things brackish.

Regarding water changes... A long hose does many magic things. You can build an easy contraption to hang over your tank, connect the hose, let it drain to a certain level, then connect the hose to a faucet and refill.

Or go semi or fully automated. There's a link in my sig showing one of the many possibilities for that.
I like your idea of the semi automated water change setup, but how if at all do you treat your tap water prior to putting it in the tank??

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode