Seachem, why are you doing this to me? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Seachem, why are you doing this to me?

3 days of filling my RO/DI Brute for a water change this weekend and used Dose_planted Seachem's own dosing calculator to figure out the proper dosage of Equilibrium to take 40 gal. of water from 0 to 4 degrees GH. It said 128 grams. Seemed like a lot and so I dialed back to just 100g and STILL got a reading of nearly 12 degrees Gh.

What in the world did I miss?

Incidently, I also used Baking Soda to raise the kH from 0 to 4dkh and nailed it right on based on the 1 teaspoon per 30 gal calculation provided by some in this forum. But I can't water change with 12 GH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 07:44 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
I think you entered in the wrong number. Notice the unit is meq/L. 1 meq/L is 3dGH. So if you want 4dGH, you need to enter 1.333 meq/L.

Doing that, I get 42.6 grams.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 07:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Seachem's calculator asks for desired GH in meq/L, not in dGH! Download Zorfox's calculator (Zorfox's Planted Tank Calculator) - it can calculate pretty much everything (except for KH).

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks to you both. Very helpful.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 09:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
I think you entered in the wrong number. Notice the unit is meq/L. 1 meq/L is 3dGH. So if you want 4dGH, you need to enter 1.333 meq/L.

Doing that, I get 42.6 grams.
This. I agree the calculator is misleading. I doubt I would have noticed that to be honest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Polar View Post
it can calculate pretty much everything (except for KH).
I am adding that actually. Audionut suggested it via PM and provided a few chemicals. What would you like to see? I know most want baking soda but do you want dKH added to every chemical that can change it? That's what I was thinking.

Developers are good at crunching numbers and making software work. They suck at making applications that make sense. Users are good at telling you what you did wrong and what they want! I'm all ears...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 12:18 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

IMHO it'll be good to include potassium bicarbonate, sodium bicarbonate and calcium carbonate. Last one you already have available for Ca and GH calculations, so KH option can be added as well. Potassium bicarbonate should probably be available for calculations not only for KH but for K as well - it adds quite a lot!

As for bugs, the latest feature, nutrient accumulation calculation, is not yet working properly in some scenarios (e.g. try dose frequency 7 - once a week, and WC frequency also 7 - results are really odd). It looks like as if water change and addition of fertilizers are happening on the same day then calculator assumes that water change will always happen after addition of fertilizers. I guess some people may do this (some of the people who do daily dosing) but IMHO more common scenario is to first change the water and add fertilizers after finishing with water change (or have new batch of fertilizers mixed into water used for change). At least this is definitely more common if WC and dosing schedule is the same - what is the point of dosing the water you are going to throw away? May be this should be an additional checkbox (WC before dosing or WC after dosing if they happen on the same day)? There are also minor layout glitches if font in Windows is set to bigger size (125%, 150%) - this is very common on laptops with small high resolution screens: right part of the main window is cut off (unless program window size is manually increased), "About" dialog content doesn't fit and gets scroll bars. Auto update doesn't work even if run as administrator.

But overall this is the best calculator available by far! And it is still under development and improving, progress is very noticeable! Thank you very much for this wonderful tool!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah, indeed. I'm looking forward to using it in the future!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 01:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I don't know if this will be of much help to you, but 1 tsp. of Equilibrium in 5 gal. of RO water gives me a GH of about 5-6 dkh. For KH I add 1/2 tsp. of http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064GZPU4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00 for about 5 dkh.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 07:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
IMHO it'll be good to include potassium bicarbonate, sodium bicarbonate and calcium carbonate. Last one you already have available for Ca and GH calculations, so KH option can be added as well. Potassium bicarbonate should probably be available for calculations not only for KH but for K as well - it adds quite a lot!
I will be adding several soon.

Edit:
I added,
Calcium Carbonate (CaCO3)
Potassium Bicabonate (KHCO3)
Sodium Bicarbonate (NaHCO3) aka Baking soda

Quote:
As for bugs, the latest feature, nutrient accumulation calculation, is not yet working properly in some scenarios (e.g. try dose frequency 7 - once a week, and WC frequency also 7 - results are really odd). It looks like as if water change and addition of fertilizers are happening on the same day then calculator assumes that water change will always happen after addition of fertilizers. I guess some people may do this (some of the people who do daily dosing) but IMHO more common scenario is to first change the water and add fertilizers after finishing with water change (or have new batch of fertilizers mixed into water used for change). At least this is definitely more common if WC and dosing schedule is the same - what is the point of dosing the water you are going to throw away? May be this should be an additional checkbox (WC before dosing or WC after dosing if they happen on the same day)?
Fixed. You can now select to dose before, after or not at all on water change days. Setting the water change and dose frequency the same displays correctly now.

Quote:
There are also minor layout glitches if font in Windows is set to bigger size (125%, 150%) - this is very common on laptops with small high resolution screens: right part of the main window is cut off (unless program window size is manually increased), "About" dialog content doesn't fit and gets scroll bars.
I added a scaling routine that should fix this issue. If not send me a PM and we can track it down.

Quote:
Auto update doesn't work even if run as administrator.
Fixed
Update should work fine now. You still may need to run as administrator though.

Last edited by Zorfox; 11-02-2015 at 09:22 PM. Reason: added chemicals for KH
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 11:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Anyone know which of those three Seachem Alkaline buffer is? I have always suspected it is just baking soda but there is nothing on the label to indicate what the contents are.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

While this isn't exactly on topic with the main title and OP I thought I'd put it here to see if I could get an answer before starting an entirely new thread.

I'm starting to use the EI method of ferts.
How long can the mixed fertilizer solutions be stored at room temp?

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 08:14 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainreese View Post
While this isn't exactly on topic with the main title and OP I thought I'd put it here to see if I could get an answer before starting an entirely new thread.

I'm starting to use the EI method of ferts.
How long can the mixed fertilizer solutions be stored at room temp?
indefinitely. You might see fungal growth in the micro ferts solution, but you can add a few drops of excel to combat that.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode