ageing and aerating tap water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
ageing and aerating tap water

I've read that doing this can help drop water PH as much as 1.0. Does it really work? I was originally planning to filter through some moss but if i can avoid buying anything (I'm quite cheap) iI'll go this route.

Do i just drop in a powerhead with airline into a bucket and wait a day or two?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 03:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
You don't need to add a power head or air stone, just let it sit there. You're just waiting for the co2 to off gas. ( i believe you mean raise ph by 1.0)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
That makes sense. Don't know why the person said it lowered their PH. Guess I'll be getting some peat moss to filter through.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 04:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by miataisalwaystheanswer View Post
That makes sense. Don't know why the person said it lowered their PH. Guess I'll be getting some peat moss to filter through.
The airstone speeds up the process of CO2 absorbing into the water. The CO2 creates carbonic acid which lowers the PH.

It will happen over time whether you have an air stone or not, the stone just speeds up the process.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 04:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I'll throw in a speculation here...
People who use a "Python" to fill multiple tanks or the larger tanks also, don't have the luxury of this 24 hr period and so far none have brought up a problem that is related to off gassing of CO2. But considering that an underground water source has a possibility of a different level from your tank is definitely a possibility as well as a minor catastrophe associated/w the city's water lines.
But the PH does go down from where it is in the line. That is a closed system and
you put the water into an open system for this waiting period. I know not the chemical process, but have read about the direction of the change a few times on here and have recorded it in my tank(s) since I do hold the water overnight at least before using it.
My tank water fairly consistently reads 6.8 PH but is 7.6 from the tap.
But that possibility also changes when that under ground water source comes into play as my local stream PH at least in a spot that I checked it was 6.4 PH
...so...no debate intended on my part here I hope you understand.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2015, 07:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Aerating or aging the water achieves just one thing - gases dissolved in the water come in balance with gases in atmosphere, the end result depends on your source water (what gasses and in what amount it had). This process usually alters water pH as well.

So, this will just tell you what is your real water pH under your normal conditions (not under pressure in pipes or underground). Just don't measure pH of your water right out of tap, it'll simply be wrong.

Be careful with peat moss - check it for fertilizers. They may be not listed in the ingredients but may be present. I got 8 ppm of ammonia in a water filtered through "100% pure Canadian organic peat moss" bought in Home Depot. Plus high level of nitrates and phosphates. And probably a lot more - I just didn't have tests for it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode