Beginner here, need some tips on ferts. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Beginner here, need some tips on ferts.

Recently got my first planted tank going, so bare with me here. The basics are it's a 38G with an EcoComplete substrate and a Finnex 24/7+ light fixture. I don't have the specifics of the water on hand, but had it tested the other day and was told by numerous people that it was "good," so that shouldn't be a huge problem.

I've had mixed results with the plants I've ordered so far. I don't feel that looking too much into the specific plants is appropriate yet as its only been three weeks (tank was cycled before this) and I'm told plants can still be acclimating.

At the moment all I'm dosing is Excel daily and Flourish weekly. Through a couple other threads I've made about specific plants not doing so well, I've learned this might not be enough.

In simple terms, I'm not sure what products I should be looking to add or where I've possibly gone wrong. FWIW, I'm overwhelmed reading about CO2 systems so I'm not sure if that's feasible right now.

So yeah, just looking for some advice on properly getting started. I can provide more info on anything if required. Thanks everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 02:03 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

There are Micro and Macro fertilizers. Flourish provides mostly Micro and Excel is not a fert at all. It is a CO2 Source. Since you tank is cycled, you can add fish and that will provide some ferts. Otherwise you will have to supply the tank with Macro ferts. This can be done using Seachem line if you can spent a little more and do not want to get into dry ferts. They are Seachem Nitrogen, Pottasium and Phosphorous.

But if you are interested in dry ferts(cheaper) then there are few of them on this forum who can help you out.

Look for posts by @nilocg or @Zorfox

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantetra View Post
There are Micro and Macro fertilizers. Flourish provides mostly Micro and Excel is not a fert at all. It is a CO2 Source. Since you tank is cycled, you can add fish and that will provide some ferts. Otherwise you will have to supply the tank with Macro ferts. This can be done using Seachem line if you can spent a little more and do not want to get into dry ferts. They are Seachem Nitrogen, Pottasium and Phosphorous.

But if you are interested in dry ferts(cheaper) then there are few of them on this forum who can help you out.

Look for posts by @nilocg or @Zorfox
Thanks for the reply. Guessing I'm in the right place here? DIY EI Liquid Fertilizer - NilocG Aquatics

If so...

Do you know off hand if this would be "enough" for my setup? Definitely a cheaper option than the multiple Flourish products and the all-in-one Macro liquid seems very useful, assuming I'm understand it correctly. :P

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 10:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
The Flourish that you have serves as the Micros and that liquid Macro completes what
you need. The one you listed is whom I buy my dry ferts from.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 02:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclessard View Post
Thanks for the reply. Guessing I'm in the right place here? DIY EI Liquid Fertilizer - NilocG Aquatics

If so...

Do you know off hand if this would be "enough" for my setup? Definitely a cheaper option than the multiple Flourish products and the all-in-one Macro liquid seems very useful, assuming I'm understand it correctly. :P
That is the place I bought mine too. You can PM him and he will help you. Understanding it is the difficult part. So make sure you read about it enough before mixing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-29-2015, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantetra View Post
That is the place I bought mine too. You can PM him and he will help you. Understanding it is the difficult part. So make sure you read about it enough before mixing.
Sent him a PM, appreciate your help.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode