Question for people on Wells - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Question for people on Wells

I was wondering if anyone on a well, that is storing their water for water changes, ever treats the water with bleach to make sure there is no bacteria in the water that could harm the fish? If so how much bleach?

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 12:34 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to snoz0r
If there's any bacteria in the water thats high enough to harm fish.. I sure as hell would never bathe or drink it. If thats the case you would a new well drilled if the source of contamination couldn't be found. With that being said, you shouldn't EVER have to add bleach to your water. Atleast I've never heard of it anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
click above for my tank journal - Eheim Pimp Club #357 - SunSun Pimp #3
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 01:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoz0r View Post
... you shouldn't EVER have to add bleach to your water. Atleast I've never heard of it anyway.
Unless you have a well, the water that comes out of your tap has chlorine (bleach) in it.

65 gallon journal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 06:35 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Are you talking about a well just for irrigation? If that's the case, I wouldn't put that water in a fish tank- it's often groundwater, which can be contaminated with pesticides and all sort of nasty stuff.

If it's water that is treated for drinking, it's fine just as is.

I'm on a well, and I still do use Prime just in case, though.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 11:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/96%)
I get my water from one of my wells. In my weekly change, about 30%, I use hose, both for draining and filling up the tank. I let run the hose for a few minutes before , just to be sure that water is not stagnating in the lines. On the end of the hose, I use water breaker. This way I'm sure that no fish or shrimp gets sucked up, and when filling up, the water is aerated by only partly immersing the braker. In order to drain water, I let water run in the tank to the point of evacuating air from the hose and then I shut off the valve, detach the hose and let the water run out of the tank.
I'm fairly sure that the water from this well is O.K., for I drunk it for some twelve years and somehow I survived....

By the way - I heard that some people drink water containing chlorine, fluorine and other carcinogens like chloramine and live to tell it!

I suspect that the same people take flu shots too, and shy away from Vit.C, for it could hurt them....

Is it all that really true?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I use the well water for everything even drinking. So guess nothing to worry about.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 02:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
I shower and brush my teeth with well water run through a salt softener. I run it through RO/DI for drinking and aquariums, I never add dechlor of any sort. If I owned this house I would have a whole-house RO/DI system installed because I hate showering in well water.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 05:02 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Brian A
The thing with a well is that they are all different. It all depends on where your water supply is coming from. I lived out in the wooded country for years and had no problems because there were no farms near by for miles upon miles. My only problem was liquid rock ( high mineral content) so that dictated what kinds of fish i could keep. If you live in a farming area the water might contain fertilizer and pesticides. If you are worried get a water filtering system for your fish. Or set up some "test" tanks to see if there are an effects on a couple of fish before you commit to anything.

Filstar pimp #74
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I have lived in the house about 9 years now and have had fish tanks the entire time. The well is over 100 feet deep. I run a whole house filter and then I'm running an RO/DI unit just for the fish as the water chemistry fluctuates depending on the time of year. Was also wondering if you could plumb the waste water back into the well? Currently it goes into the septic system until I get a drain to the outside plumbed up.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 08:28 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Brian A
Waste into your well?!? I wouldn't think that would be a bad idea. You'd want the water to flow through the ground which acts as a natural filter.

With all that you are doing now I would say that your water is in tip-top condition. Double filtering it should remove anything harmful.

Use the waster water from your tank to water any house plants or a garden if you want a use for it.

Filstar pimp #74
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 02:25 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
You definitely don't want to put waste water into your well. 100 feet down you're past groundwater level. Big difference in water 100 feet down versus groundwater.

Few years back when we had all those hurricanes and flooding here in South Florida (that reminded us that we all really DO live in a swamp), we had to bleach our wells to clear out groundwater contamination. Many people had E. coli in their wells from groundwater backflow.

You DON'T want E. coli in your well water. And it's certainly in your septic tank, since it occurs naturally in the human excretory system.

Bizarre how something that occurs naturally in one part of the human body is deadly in others... but that's a different conversation and now I'm chasing rabbits. LOL

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 05:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Sometimes we run the waste into the washer and wash our clothes in it. Actually, we haven't done that since we were on city water, the RO waste from city water isn't all that bad TDS-wise , and I have actually tasted it, not anything like I expected it to be, and you couldn't tell it was waste by looking at it. Haven't checked the well waste from RO yet.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Once I get the RO/DI unit moved to its new location I might setup a collection container for the waste water instead of it going into the septic. That way I can use it when I build my garden this spring.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode