What substrate keeps my pH low (around 6.4) without using ADA aquasoil - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
What substrate keeps my pH low (around 6.4) without using ADA aquasoil

The title pretty much says it. I'm interested to know, what I can add to a tank substrate to keep my pH permanently low; i.e. to raise the pH I would add crushed coral. To lower it I assume I add peat? However, does garden store peat work or do I need to find some other source? And what else is there that's easy to come by?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 04:52 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
As long as it doesn't have fertilizer and/or fungi/herbicides mixed in, garden store peat should work. However, it will also turn your water brownish if you actually want to affect the pH with it.

CO2 works quite well... dissolving in water it turns into carbonic acid, which brings down the pH. It's all related to kH though, so unless your water is very soft (low kH), it will be difficult to bring down the pH that much without suffocating every animal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

wasn't looking to use CO2. should be a low light, low fert tank (moss, crypts and ferns). need the pH around 4.5-6.5 for Boraras maculatus to spawn and I was thinking to doing something to the substrate without having to add pH down all the time.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 07:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (67/100%)
You could use those indian almond leaves...they are supposedly to temporarily lower ph.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 09:22 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
Cool! I think it would be fun to breed maculatas. In addition to an acidic environment, you will probably need it pretty soft too. Really, it is hard to beat Aquasoil for this. It really does drop both the pH and hardness if you aren't using RO water. Is there a reason you don't want to use it?

Bill

[
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I already have the fish and was not looking to have tannins in the water for a month. Since I will be unable to really treat it much
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 07:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
What about adding some fresh driftwood?

4 * 8 * 15 * 16 * 23 * 42

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode