How much co2 do i need? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (72/100%)
How much co2 do i need?

I need some advice. I am trying to figure out how much co2 i need in the tank. I have a 10gallon tank with 40watt strip light about 4 inches above the water. Plants are HC, HM, dwarf hairgrass, brazilian micro sword, and marsilea minuta. I dose ferts using micros and flourish NPK. I have a pressurized paintball system. Right now I have it set at 1 bubble every two seconds diffused using a hagen ladder (dont know how efficeint these work). I have a glass diffuser on the way so hopefully that will work with my paintball system because the regulator's max is 15psi.

A couple days ago I set up a drop checker using homemade 4dKH water solution. THe checker is still blue so I don't know if I have enough co2 in the water. My plants all seem to be growing alright, however I seem to be getting what looks like hair algae, which makes me think I don't have enough co2 in the tank. My pH is 7.4-7.6 and kH is 14degrees. So according to the "sticky" chart my ppm is around 15 which should be okay. Then why would my drop checker still be blue colored.

Anybody with a suggestion? Should I bump the co2 up to 1 bps? or wait until the glass diffuser comes to see if that does a better job of diffusing the bubbles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 02:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi zeldar,

I would increase the CO2 bubble count slowly (one adjustment per day) until your drop checker fluid is green.

You didn't indicate how long your photoperiod is, or if you do regular water changes. I usually get green hair algae when I have too much light or too much nutrients. I would do an immediate 50% water change and I would also decrease the photoperiod by 1/4 and see if that helps. Continue with weekly water changes and if the problem decreases but continues consider dropping your photoperiod back more. Seachem Excel at 2X daily dose has helped me to control hair algae as well.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (72/100%)
Thanks Seattle, yea i forgot to mention some things.

Lights are on a timer for 8 hrs a day and up until i noticed the hair algae I have been doing a 2hr burst with another 40watt bulb for 80watts total. I do water changes every three days trying to get rid of the tannins in my water. I also dose 1mL of Excel every day to add more carbon to the water. I have been shooting the excel directly at the algae hoping it would defeat it.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 03:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi zeldar,

Sounds like you are doing plenty of water changes so excess nutrients shouldn't be a problem. I would continue the water changes, discontinue the "noon bursts" and drop back to 6 hours and re-evaluate in a week or so. Keep us posted.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode