Premixing Dryferts - what to store them in? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (2/100%)
Premixing Dryferts - what to store them in?

SO I ma looking at following Rex Grigg's dosing regime. I like the idea of making batches of ferts in water. The question is what to store them in.

I was thinking some of these:

Pre mix the 250 ml versions, then each morning.. shake, squirt out what I need into a measuring spoon and add to the tank. Quick, easy, no mess.

What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 05:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Personally, I just use micro measuring spoons and scoop the dry powder directly into the tank, because that just works for me... but if I were going to premix my ferts into solution, I would use one of these. Only $6 and no measuring spoon necessary!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 06:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (71/100%)
^x2
I was just looking up a link to the same type of bottle. I use one for my premix. The only thing is I have to shake it up every time because there is some settling that occurs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (2/100%)
Those are pretty... hummm Wonder how small the graduations are on that little cup. must investigate...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 07:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (71/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDaddy View Post
Those are pretty... hummm Wonder how small the graduations are on that little cup. must investigate...
The one I have has marks at 10ml, 15ml, 20ml, and 25ml

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 09:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to bradac56 Send a message via MSN to bradac56 Send a message via Yahoo to bradac56 Send a message via Skype™ to bradac56
I'm with Church I just dump it in dry or you could even mix the dry powders together and mix dump them in at the same time if that's taking to long if you have allot of tanks.

- Brad

Proud member of the
and the

VICTOR PIMP #58 -
VTS-253A-320 x2, VTS-253D-320, VTS-253A-1993-320.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 09:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
^ But if you do that, don't mix your CSM+B into the mix. It will react with the macros, from what I understand. Don't take this as the gospel truth, but read up on it first before mixing all your dry ferts together!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 09:42 PM
Aroid Addict

PTrader: (76/100%)
I just keep mine in a small airtight rubbermaid container and dose them dry straight into the tank. No need to dilute and it takes about 3 seconds.

Got Plants?-6 CO2 + 12 H2O → C6H12O6 + 6 O2 + 6 H2O

---

Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 10:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to paulrw
I'm with all the other dry fert guys if you have multiple tanks like me you can use some plastic Dixie cups and do them all at once, just dump it in the Dixie then in the tank about 2 min total for 4 tanks

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 01:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I use the dosing bottles, like Church recommended. For small doses it seems to be easier and more accurate.

Hoppy
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 11:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to malaybiswas
I have used the ketchup dispensers from walmart (like in WarDaddy's first post) for quite a while. I used a spare measuring cylinder from one of my old ammonia test kits. Now I just do dry dosing (exactly as lego mention) and find it much easier without any side effects (haven't seen any yet).

Patience is the name of the game.

|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode