Low Tech, Non-CO2 tank with root feeders. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Low Tech, Non-CO2 tank with root feeders.

Hi folks,

Looking to run a low pH tank with a peat substrate. Since all of my low tech tanks have always had a soil substrate, and peat won't supply what my plants will need to grow, I'm looking to understand what I'll need to grow them in a non-CO2 environment.

Plants will be mainly swords and vals, with maybe a few anubias.

Is there any chance someone could point me in the right direction to understand the difference between water column dosing like this:
Non CO2 methods - Aquarium Plants - Barr Report

...and something with a form of root tab.

My other restriction is that the fish are nitrate sensitive, and my understanding is osmocote might not be the way to go as a result.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 08:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I think you should look at those fish and find out what is their natural habitat and as
reasonable as possible duplicate that. This I think will not include peat as the sub.
The ability of peat to lower the PH is not everlasting. Therefore using it as a sub means constantly changing the sub.
Since you want these special fish and seem willing to do whatever to please them it might be to your advantage to just do a dirt sub for the plants. Then do peat in the filter to lower the PH. Or you could contact Dianna as she already does DIY peat extract
for her tanks and I believe that she would give you the details of that.
Then you could skip plants that don't get nutrients from the sub without harm to any
other plants that you do have. The water column ferts would/can be eliminated that way
as they are just dumped into the water to mix/w it.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Didn't mean to be obtuse about special fish, just keeping the question simple. This is for otos, so heavily planted is an absolute requirement to raise fry successfully.

The substrate doesn't have to supply the acidity forever, I'm fine to supplement with peat extract as the substrate depletes of tannin.

Peat has come up in a few locations (like the link) as a suggested substrate, so I just need to figure out how to maintain plants in it.

The Barr link seems fine, but uses water column dosing. I wasn't sure if swords would prefer root feeding, that's all.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 07:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I once grew swords in a filter sand substrate, with water column fertilizing (EI), and they grew so fast they took over the entire tank. All aquatic plants take in nutrients through the leaves as well as the roots. Either method of dosing works for most plants, and both together work best for most plants.

Hoppy
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-26-2015, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Good to hear! Going to try PPS pro dosing, don't need quite as much growth as EI seems to provide.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 08:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamTill View Post
Good to hear! Going to try PPS pro dosing, don't need quite as much growth as EI seems to provide.
It is a very bad idea to try to regulate growth rates with fertilizers. You should try to get the maximum growth rate the amount of light you have will allow. Doing otherwise tends to lead to unhealthy plants, which lead to algae problems.

Hoppy
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2015, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Fair concept, enough. Not quite what I meant, but I get your point.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode