Question reguarding fertilizer dosing in non-CO2, low tech tank. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Question reguarding fertilizer dosing in non-CO2, low tech tank.

(This got kinda long, Feel free to skip to the third paragraph for the meaty bits and questions.)

I have had my 20 gallon long tank up and running for about 5 months now. It is lit by a Finnex Stingray with a 7 hour photo period. Substrate is inert sand with Seachem root tabs. I have been following this fertilizer schedule. I do a 25% water change every week.

According to aqadvisor I am at 108% capacity for livestock. Plants include a lot of crypts, a couple of anubis, one sword, a couple dozen java ferns, one aponogeton ulvaceus, one banana plant, three marimo moss balls, and a couple corkscrew vallisneria. This month I added one large wisteria plant, and about a dozen stems of bacopa.

Up until this month the fertilizers (here) seems to be sufficient. I've been having issues with cyanobacteria for the past two weeks, and have been trying to get my nitrates up. I've been testing my nitrates every day. Every time I dose my fertilizers I get my nitrates up to about 15. The next day, they'll be close to five. By the second day after dosing, my nitrates will be basically zero. So this week I managed to keep them up by dozing every other day. This seems really excessive.

So my questions are, am I basically doing EI dosing now? Are the fertilizers I am using sufficient? Should I switch to something else?

Thanks for any suggestions or thoughts. Sorry this got so long. Thanks again.

I have no idea what I'm doing!

Last edited by hachi; 10-23-2015 at 05:27 PM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 06:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
The plants do appear to be using all of he NO3 in the KNO3 that you are dosing.
Almost all anyway. Perhaps you might use this list instead. It is EI and for injected tanks.
But if you are using up too much of the nitrates you may need it. Also the micros only last about three days tops...A...and I see differences between the levels in the two list
on individual nutrients. But remember a 50% water change goes/w EI.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/11...n-recipes.html

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2015, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
The plants do appear to be using all of he NO3 in the KNO3 that you are dosing.
Almost all anyway. Perhaps you might use this list instead. It is EI and for injected tanks.
But if you are using up too much of the nitrates you may need it. Also the micros only last about three days tops...A...and I see differences between the levels in the two list
on individual nutrients. But remember a 50% water change goes/w EI.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/11...n-recipes.html
Thanks for the link. It seems like what I did this week (dosing three times) gets me pretty close to the EI levels listed. This is interesting. Maybe not as excessive as I thought it was.

I have no idea what I'm doing!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 05:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
You "added one large wisteria plant, and about a dozen stems of bacopa" to the slow growing plants you already had. This would have naturally caused significantly more demand for nutrition. Nutrition also includes CO2.

We can go without CO2 and small dosage of fertilisers in lightly planted tank especially with slow growing plants. You have adequate lights so as you increase plants, you will have to meet their nutrient needs.

A "large wisteria plant" is a sink for potassium - you will have to adjust your potassium dosage upwards while keeping the other nutrients in the same level - +K2SO4.

Your CO2 requirement is also increased - that supply which was adequate before addition of new flora may no longer be sufficient. Remember hungry plants make way for algae.

Don't neglect the cyanobacteria problem. Its presence can be indication of low nitrates and low water circulation in your tank. Manually remove them and increase the water circulation if inadequate.

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2015, 03:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
If you continue the 25% weekly water change you can easily dose half standard EI. You can adjust the dose based on how much you plants are using. When the nutrient levels are more constant you will see the uptake level off to a more even amount. You can use the nutrient accumulation calculator to see how this works. It will show you the nutrient levels based on water changes, plant uptake your dose etc. It's a good way to tailor dosing methods to individual tanks.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode