Question regarding increasing fertilizers - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Question regarding increasing fertilizers

Hello! I've had my 20 gallon long low tech tank up for almost five months now. It's moderately planted, sand substrate and root tabs. Lighting is a Finnex Stingray set for 7 hours with a two hour break in the middle (so 3 1/2 on, 2 off, 3 1/2 on). I've been following the fertilizer schedule outlined here: How to Setup a Low-tech Planted Tank: A Guide for Planted Aquariums | Welcome to Sudeep Mandal's spot on the net.

However, my plants have grown enough that this seems to no longer be enough. I had a few of my crypts melt a leaf here and there. My nitrates are often at less than 5. I have issues with cyanobacteria due to the low nitrates, which has been making my tank reek horribly for the past few days.

My question is, should I only increase my nitrates, or should I increase everything proportionally? Thank you for the help.

I have no idea what I'm doing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 09:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/11...explained.html
He says it much better than I could.
I use the one in here listed for my tank size/w a modification to the list. I would suggest you use the dry dosing first till you find out how your nutrients are
working. You may need to make adjustments like I did. Then once you know it is working, you can make the solution of it. Hard to adjust the solution.
You can get what you want fairly easily but making a duplicate of that will be impossible once you have started using from the bottles.
Almost forgot...I only use one of the three doses per week because of not having injected CO2 which this list is made for.
However I divide the Micro part into two doses and one is the next day after I dose the Macros, then skip two days, then dose that other half of the Micro dose.
This gives through the week coverage on both because the iron in the Micros is only available for about 2-3 days in the tank.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/11...n-recipes.html
You can simply elect to do two doses of each at the recommended amount, but separated by a couple of days in order to raise the overall level of the nutrients
if you find it to not be enough/w only one dose per week or you can learn to adjust the size of the individual components of it.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

Last edited by Raymond S.; 10-21-2015 at 09:31 PM. Reason: more info...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 09:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quick answer. Increase everything proportionally.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE V View Post
Quick answer. Increase everything proportionally.
Perfect. Thanks very much.

I have no idea what I'm doing!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode