clear slime.hard water? Is that the issue? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 03:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to NoObLet
Lightbulb clear slime.hard water? Is that the issue?

okay so i have recently moved to Nevada and their water is really hard here. And i keep getting this slime in my tank. its clear.

i think it protein build up aka bio film? so when i touch my plants in the tank they feel slimy( u cant see any type of film on the plants, just feels slimy).If i don't have enough surface tension i get this mean film on top that doesn't all for gas exchange so my fish will go to the top of the tank.

I was wondering what is the cause to this? Is a bacteria thing? Also the film is never green at the top of the tank.

My thought is the TDS is really high because 40% of our water here in Nevada is recycled.

i can give you guys some water parameters but i cant give you guys KH/GH because i need to go buy those two...hahah the most 2 important ones i dont have what a bad tank owner i am..

If anyone can shed some light on this topic to make me understand a little more or tell me if i am right or wrong will be greatly appreciated. thanks guys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PayPal Verified

Last edited by NoObLet; 10-19-2015 at 03:30 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 02:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is this a scum on the surface? Hard water could contribute to it. Usually linked to protein in the water. It happens in soft water, too. Increase surface agitation, or get a skimmer. There are fairly simple skimmers that attach to the intake of canisters or HOB filters.

Is this deeper in the tank? Like the white goo that grows on driftwood, just clear? Not sure what this could be- I would keep on clearing it away and maybe it will stop growing on its own.

How long has the tank been set up?
What is the stocking level?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 02:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Have you replaced the hoses on a canister filter recently? When I use tubing from Lowes there's a clear coating that'll come off from the inside of the tubing.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 02:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

Water Condition

Hello No...

This hobby is all about keeping the tank water changed out and clean all the time. This is the only way to maintain a stable tank. Hard water is a good thing. Lots of minerals for the plants. What's your water change routine? If you're changing anything less than half weekly, then chances are the water chemistry isn't stable. Small tanks under 20 Gs need a couple of changes a week.

Gradually work up to that 50 percent change, 60 percent is better, that's what I change. The water, fish and plants will respond by balancing the water chemistry and you've solved your tank problems.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Is this a scum on the surface? Hard water could contribute to it. Usually linked to protein in the water. It happens in soft water, too. Increase surface agitation, or get a skimmer. There are fairly simple skimmers that attach to the intake of canisters or HOB filters.

Is this deeper in the tank? Like the white goo that grows on driftwood, just clear? Not sure what this could be- I would keep on clearing it away and maybe it will stop growing on its own.

How long has the tank been set up?
What is the stocking level?
scum with form on the top if i dont have my little pumps running to create surface tension. there is nothing visible on the wood in the tank just on the leafs of the plants when u touch them its a little slimy but nothing that you can really see. the tanks been set up for years but i did drive my tank from California to Nevada with only enough water to keep the substrate submerged and then when i got here i filled it right back up and the filters held water in it so all my bacteria wouldn't die. by stocking level do you mean fish because i only have a loach in the tank....
i was reading a article but i cant find it anymore they were saying its Autotrophic bacteria....
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherLandDescendant View Post
Have you replaced the hoses on a canister filter recently? When I use tubing from Lowes there's a clear coating that'll come off from the inside of the tubing.
i did change the outlet hose that was bought from home depot....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello No...

This hobby is all about keeping the tank water changed out and clean all the time. This is the only way to maintain a stable tank. Hard water is a good thing. Lots of minerals for the plants. What's your water change routine? If you're changing anything less than half weekly, then chances are the water chemistry isn't stable. Small tanks under 20 Gs need a couple of changes a week.

Gradually work up to that 50 percent change, 60 percent is better, that's what I change. The water, fish and plants will respond by balancing the water chemistry and you've solved your tank problems.

B
i do 10% water changes maybe 2 to 3 times a week..i usually dont have to do it that much because the water evaporates fairly quicky.
i only have one fish in my tank right now...maybe get some more fish..

PayPal Verified
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 03:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

Hello again No...

I've heard that multiple, small water changes are the way to go. I'm skeptical. It's a waste of your time to get out the water change gear multiple times a week. I'd say get it all out once and change out enough to remove most of the dissolved wastes in the water. What's left will be diluted in all the new water. The process must be a gradual one. Don't want to stress the fish.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 03:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I would give it time. biofilms have a tendency to take care of themselves if you let them do their thing. just keep up with your maintenance and let the tank stabilize.

"The ecologist is continually having to look at the aspects of nature with which he is unfamiliar and perforce must be an amateur for much of his working time.... professionals may carp at omissions, misconstructions, or even downright errors in these pages. perhaps ultimately they may forgive them for the sake of the overall vision that only the amateur, or the ecologist, blithely sets out to experience."G. Evelyn Hutchinson
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by auban View Post
I would give it time. biofilms have a tendency to take care of themselves if you let them do their thing. just keep up with your maintenance and let the tank stabilize.
yeah i have ran into bio film before and it usually takes care of itself most of the time. as far as maintenance what do you think would be the ideal maintenance water changes? When i have a lot of fish in the tank ill do 10% 2-3 within a week, or are more people have success with big water changes. i feel like big water changes kinda stress fish out..

PayPal Verified
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 04:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoObLet View Post
yeah i have ran into bio film before and it usually takes care of itself most of the time. as far as maintenance what do you think would be the ideal maintenance water changes? When i have a lot of fish in the tank ill do 10% 2-3 within a week, or are more people have success with big water changes. i feel like big water changes kinda stress fish out..

im probably the last person to ask about water changes. I haven't done any regular water changes in years. the only times I do water changes is to remove dissolved solids or as an emergency(like when a kid puts a bar of soap in the tank...)

for the last several years, I have used algae to keep the water parameters good. i find it to be far more stable than doing water changes.

"The ecologist is continually having to look at the aspects of nature with which he is unfamiliar and perforce must be an amateur for much of his working time.... professionals may carp at omissions, misconstructions, or even downright errors in these pages. perhaps ultimately they may forgive them for the sake of the overall vision that only the amateur, or the ecologist, blithely sets out to experience."G. Evelyn Hutchinson
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 08:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A canister filter that is not running is not providing oxygen to the bacteria so you may be starting from scratch, or very nearly. The film you are getting may just be diatoms from the new cycle. I would just let it go and see what happens.

Large water changes are better because you are removing more of the concentrated contaminants at once. Planted tanks like water changes. It prevents algae and provides fresh minerals and trace elements for the plants to use.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

yeah i think my tank is cycling again. because when i do water changes the water gets all cloudy...

PayPal Verified
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 04:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

I agree with the other posts above about larger water changes, even with your light stocking, because of the slime build-up.
A larger, once weekly WC is more efficient at removing unwanteds from the tank, vs small frequent changes.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

when water evaporates everything get concentrated so it would make sense to do a bigger water change.. thanks guys....really appreciate the info.

PayPal Verified

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode