RO water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
RO water

So I live in Utah and the water is really hard
I heard that when the water is hard plants will have a more difficult time absorbing co2, please correct me if I'm wrong
Anyway I'm thinking of getting an RO water system but here is my question
The system I'm looking at can produce up to 75 gallons a day
It has a 3 gallon tank, does that mean I can only get 3 gallons of RO water all at once and then having to wait for another 3 gallons to be produced?
Or can I just turn the faucet on for 8 hours straight to get 25 gallons
I have posted a question on Amazon but no one has replied yet

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003XELTTG/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1445188153&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=ispring+reverse+osmosis&dpPl=1&dpID=51yd6QhsUHL&ref=plSrch
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 06:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have an http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I0ZGOZM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00 unit. I get around two gal. out of it and then flow reduces to almost nothing. It takes 2.5-3 hrs. to refill the tank.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Gotcha, thank you that's all I need to know

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 08:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

As a general way of thinking, 75 gpd means about 3 gallons per hour. That's a pretty decent speed actually, and what I use to handle water changes in a 220G and a 45G tank.

What I did was buy a trash can (nice big rubbermaid) and let it fill overnight or during the day. I then mix the remineralization chemicals in that also, and if necessary warm or cool the water to match the tank. These last steps are important, you don't want to go from RO to tank directly.

Then I have a little dolly (about $20 at Harbor Freight) and roll the trash can over to the tank and use a pump to transfer the water. For smaller water changes a pail works equally well.

But when I'm doing a water change (usually a total of about 120 gallons), I just leave it making water the whole time, I pull off about 35G for the 45G tank (I do infrequent, heavy changes there), and then fill two trash cans to about 45G each for the 220G tank. Takes about two days of running the filter, then I put it back up for a month.

But don't forget you need to mix chemicals (always), and probably warm/cool the water before the water change. You should also aerate (but that generally comes with mixing). I find a pond pump works great, no tubing or anything, just chuck it in the bottom of the trash can and let it run, it mixes the chemicals and causes enough water surface agitation to aerate the water.

Linwood

Latest tank build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you, I'll just go with tap water for now and see how it goes. A small aquarium store near my work has some wonderful planted tank with just tap water and conditioners so I'll give that a try and see what happens. Thanks again for a very detailed and helpful advice

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode