1Likes
  • 2 Post By Zapins

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to will5
Any dual release Iron options?

Wodering if there is a dry method of some sort for dosing that would allow me to dose Iron that dilutes in water right away and and an Iron source that slowly releases?

The reason being that I am dosing 4ml of flourish Iron every over day in addition to dosing csm+b and as soon as plant mass increase I get yellowing in my plants. I know increasing my iron dosing would work but honestly Flourish iron at that rate is getting very costly.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 11:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
So since you have experienced what "they say" about liquid ferts, you likely will take
a suggestion and try it.
When I dose the dry ferts directly I had a cup and placed them all in it and then just dumped that into the tank. If that is what you are doing just add the FE to it @ 1/4
of the amount of the CSM+B that you use.If you have changed the dry dosing to a solution dosing then you will need to add it to that as you make the solution.
Some refrigerate the micros solution as mold sometimes forms in it if you don't.
Or some add 10 ml Excel. I do both.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/11...n-recipes.html
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/15...ug|others.html
This is on that list.
Iron Chelate 10% DTPA- $10 per 1/2lb, $18/lb

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 11:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Be aware that Seachem Iron is a glut form, and in higher PH water disappears in hours. Don't know what your PH is of course.

The higher the PH, the better off you are moving toward ETDA (better) or DTPA (better still) in terms of remaining available for use. And it's a LOT cheaper.

Linwood

Latest tank build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
So since you have experienced what "they say" about liquid ferts, you likely will take
a suggestion and try it.
When I dose the dry ferts directly I had a cup and placed them all in it and then just dumped that into the tank. If that is what you are doing just add the FE to it @ 1/4
of the amount of the CSM+B that you use.If you have changed the dry dosing to a solution dosing then you will need to add it to that as you make the solution.
Some refrigerate the micros solution as mold sometimes forms in it if you don't.
Or some add 10 ml Excel. I do both.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/11...n-recipes.html
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/15...ug|others.html
This is on that list.
Iron Chelate 10% DTPA- $10 per 1/2lb, $18/lb
I dose everything else dry and just thought it easier to use flourish iron do to it being already mixed.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linwood View Post
Be aware that Seachem Iron is a glut form, and in higher PH water disappears in hours. Don't know what your PH is of course.

The higher the PH, the better off you are moving toward ETDA (better) or DTPA (better still) in terms of remaining available for use. And it's a LOT cheaper.
I didn't know it disappeared that fast which would why I can't seem to keep up with it. Lol

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 12:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by will5 View Post
I didn't know it disappeared that fast which would why I can't seem to keep up with it. Lol
I always have trouble finding a link to a good chart, but here's an article that includes a small version.

Iron Deficiency In Aquaponics

Seachem doesn't release details of their mix, but the general thinking it is in the bottom left corner somewhere.

Linwood

Latest tank build:
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thank you both for the help. Guess I'll be tracking down some DTPA when I get paid. You'll see a post on how much to dose dry into a 29g 3.5 wpg with pressurized Co2 once I've ordered it post here soon.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 01:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by will5 View Post
I dose everything else dry and just thought it easier to use flourish iron do to it being already mixed.

What are your CSM+B mixed/w ? CSM+B is the Micros which is dosed on a different day from Macros(all the other normal fert components).

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 01:24 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
With Flourish iron daily, plus csm+b, it seems unlikely to me that an iron deficiency the issue. Perhaps consider what else your plants may be lacking?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
With Flourish iron daily, plus csm+b, it seems unlikely to me that an iron deficiency the issue. Perhaps consider what else your plants may be lacking?
No they are being dosed together every other day.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 06:11 AM
Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (28/100%)
Take a few good close up pictures of the yellowing for us this may not be iron deficiency at all. You shouldn't have to overdo iron dosing to keep plants looking ok.

Also, csm+b uses chelated iron with EDTA which lasts about 3 days in the water. The only stronger chelating agent readily available is DTPA iron which lasts about a week in the water, though it can sometimes discolor the water a bit.
Raymond S. and Raymond S. like this.

Zapins
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-17-2015, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I'll get a pic up here in a second.

Here are some pics of my plants-

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1445115435544.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	530394Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1445115475580.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	530402Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1445115510183.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	530410Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1445115549820.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	530418

1/4 tsp kno3
1/8 tsp KH2PO4
1/8 tsp K2SO4
1/8 csm+B
4ml Flourish Iron

All 3xweek on oppsite days.

CO2 on an hour before lights and off an hour before lights.

Photo Period 8hrs.

If not iron then maybe it's a Co2 deficiency?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 10-18-2015 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 10:51 PM
Plant Whisperer

PTrader: (28/100%)
From the photos the new growth doesn't look deficient to me. Iron deficiency shows up as pale white new leaves on most species and that is not what is happening in the photos (for reference Deficiency Finder has pictures of iron deficiency in several species). It is usually pretty profound, not slight yellowing. Also, iron deficiency really only happens with a total lack, or very sparse iron dosing, if you are regularly adding iron a few times a week that will prevent iron deficiency. Plants don't use very much iron compared to other nutrients so you really don't need very much of it to keep them healthy. The main thing you need to keep in mind is consistent dosing. If you dose once a week, that probably isn't enough, 2-3 times a week is usually enough if you are using CSM+B. or 3-7x a week with flourish (it isn't chelated with a long lasting chelator).

Too much iron, on the other hand can cause yellowing of new growth because too much iron interferes with a plant's ability to use other nutrients in new tissue, so the tissue looks yellow.

I cannot calculate how much iron you are adding since there is no tank size listed in this post, but if you are adding more than about 1 ppm a week, that is very likely too much.

As an unrelated comment, the rotala's old leaves look a little thin but the photo is too far away to tell what is causing that. Perhaps a better photo would help if that is a problem you need help with?

Zapins
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The tank is a 29 gallon and here are a couple more pics of the Rotala.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1445379655411.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	531674Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1445379687238.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	531682

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode