Ceramic diffuser placement. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ceramic diffuser placement.

Is the placement, where i place my ceramic diffuser important?

At this moment is placed right under the filter, but the powerhead of the filter is pointed upwards to cause the surface to move a bit for extra O2.

Should i place it somewhere else, or doesn't that really matter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 11:53 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Ideally, the diffuser should be placed as close to the substrate as possible (to give time for the rising bubbles to diffuse). If you have them near the filter return so that the bubbles are blown about, that would be even better, but may not be applicable in your case.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 12:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

@azazan

Have you gone from DIY to pressurised CO2? If not that ceramic diffuser's place is in a cabinet and and not in tank.

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by essabee View Post
@azazan

Have you gone from DIY to pressurised CO2? If not that ceramic diffuser's place is in a cabinet and and not in tank.

I did not ... I Changed to steel bottles to withstand the pressure created by the yeast created co2 xD so now i can use my ceramic diffuser. Its more controlled this way, when i put the tube directly into my tank, my water just had too much co2 and anything i put in there first swam to the top for about 30 minutes then sunk to the bottom to stop moving, they recovered when i put them back in my other tank tho ^^. Seems to be better now(although so are the algea, over the course of one day, my tank exploded, and i really mean Exploded with algea, there are hair algea that wheren't there yesterday and are over 30cm long today)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 02:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

@azazan

You bought that diffuser to stop the noise your CO2 was making in the filter and got blown up CO2 generator and so got yourself steel bottles and dumped all the CO2 into the tank and stunned the fishes and then you simply ask where you place that ceramic gadget!!!

You are crazy but I love it

Help him someone I can't stop laughing long enough to think

Bump: BTW How many steel bottles are you using to generate CO2 and what is the size?

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

1,5 liters each
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 05:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

It does matter where you place it. You should place it so that the CO2 bubbles stay as long as possible in contact with water.

DIY CO2 production in the first few days is very high. you shoud consider disconecting the bottle after a few hours.

On hiatus till later this year
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2015, 06:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by azazan View Post
1,5 liters each
Is that 3X 1,5 liters - is it not?!

First have a air pump bubbling the water all night (light off period) long.

Next place the diffuser as deep as possible and as near as possible to the return pipe of the filter.

Watch your fishes -if they are going to the surface of the tank - raise the height of the diffuser by 2 inches. Keep observing the fish; if they are still going towards the surface - then raise the diffuser by another 2 inches. Go on doing that till the fishes show normal behavior.

Next time you ask forum members to help you - tell the whole story or you will cause big trouble to your tank.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2015, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thats 2 metal bottles, and its working, my filtration pump is kind of strong 3000l/h, so the water movement is pretty heavily now its pointed up.

The shrimp don't swim to the top anymore, plants still grow fast, have to trim every other day...

I added 3 siamese algae eaters for the high amount of hair algae, they seem to be doing fine too.

As for the placement of my diffuser, its right at the bottom of the tank behind the rocks, bellow the filter outlet, but the bubbles never reach the filter outlet, they completely dissapear before they get that far.

thanks for the hints everyone ^^

Last edited by azazan; 10-18-2015 at 12:26 AM. Reason: mistook type of algae

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode