HALPPP! Flourish tabs sendng pH off the charts in 10g. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
HALPPP! Flourish tabs sendng pH off the charts in 10g.

As stated in the title, my pH has dropped literally off the comparison chart in my test kit! The background is probably easiest to deliver in point form:

-Added 3 tabs 10 days ago placed like so in my 10g:
Admire my art. And try to ignore the periods. They are underneath about 1.5-2" of fine gravel substrate.

-Did a w/c exactly 1 week after placement. I disturbed the tabs with the siphon but they remained buried under the gravel.
-The next day (Monday) the pH went nuts (from neutral to 5.8 within a day) I changed it in the evening.
-On tuesday night (11pm) I noticed my endlers hiding under the dw again. The pH was about 6 so I did a 20% w/c.
-On wednesday morning (6 am) i had to do another 80% w/c, as the pH hd dropped again.

I am going to remove them and do another 80% w/c. Tap water is about 7.8 here so hopefully it will buffer it sufficiently. Is there any way I can safely put these tabs back in the tank?

50g Fancy Goldfish • 20g Endlers, Pond Snails, Cherry Shrimp & Pygmy Cories • 5.5g Male Betta

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 02:30 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have used these tabs many times and never had it mess with my PH. I dont think that is what is dropping your PH, but wait till you get more replies. Like I said, I have used these for the last 2 years or so and haven't had any problems.

Good luck

Anna

55 Gallon planted tank with white tip tetras, neon tetras, pandruo apisos, agassizii apisos, skunk cory cats, kuli loaches, orange hatchet danios, cherry shrimp & cats, dogs, ferrets, guinea pigs, rats, mexican black kingsnake, orange/yellow beared dragon and bugs too

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 03:33 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
The box says that in very soft water you may see some drop in pH but it doesn't look like you have softwater. Have you tried testing the tap water itself recently? The pH of the water coming out of the tap can change depending on where the water company sources it from.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal Penguin View Post
The box says that in very soft water you may see some drop in pH but it doesn't look like you have softwater. Have you tried testing the tap water itself recently? The pH of the water coming out of the tap can change depending on where the water company sources it from.
facepalm. That is probably what it is. The water in vancouver is rather basic (7.6-7.8, tested it this afternoon), but VERY soft and I don't alter the hardness. Like 0 dKH. At first I was thinking that the number of root tabs was too great for the tank volume (even though I put the correct amount considering the footprint). Hmm... maybe I will have to fiddle around with the hardness before I give this another go. Thanks for the break lol!

50g Fancy Goldfish • 20g Endlers, Pond Snails, Cherry Shrimp & Pygmy Cories • 5.5g Male Betta

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode