Bigger=better tank? - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 6 Post By Diana

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Bigger=better tank?

A lot of people say that bigger tank is better for beginners. I am confused. Most beginners do not know if they are going to pursue this hobby in the long run. Most beginners have no idea what the nitrogen cycle is. There are exceptions. I understand that most fish don't thrive or survive in a 5 gallon overstocked. But take overstocking $50 fish in a $100 50 gallon setup in an uncycled tank, and you will get worse results than overstocking a 5 gallon.

The best tank size for beginners is... Well, could-a should-a would-a?

Especially nowadays when it seems acceptable to laymen to keep a goldfish in a bowl. Am I missing something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 01:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

A tank under 20 gallons tends to be unstable, the water parameters can change too fast for a beginner to keep up with.
Much larger than a 20-29 gallon and it might be too much for a beginner, financially, or otherwise.

I like recommending a standard 20 or 29 gallon tank for a beginner. Big enough that they can start slowly and build to something nice. Big enough that they can think about more species of fish than would be happy in a 10 gallon tank. Big enough that the volume of water acts as a sort of buffer to keep things more stable. Problems build more slowly, so the beginner has more of a chance to notice that there may be a problem.

Still not too much money to lay out getting started, but yes, a respectable sum. Perhaps enough that the beginner will be a bit more cautious and do a little research and have a better chance of success.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 01:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
I agree that 29g is a good size to start

You can have a decent stock and it will be pretty stable. Tanks 10g and under really limit what you are able to put in there and are less stable / more challenging IMO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 03:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
5g cherry shrimp tank is perfect for success, however it might not breed good husbandry practices

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 03:13 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
I also think 29g are a wonderful start. Look for a longer tank as it will have more footprint for gas exchange. I think this size tank is big enough for someone who's still getting into keeping fish and experimenting.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 03:14 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have been in the hobby for while(extremely low tech from a third world country, no filter, no heater no light) but now with all the help online I started a hi tech 10G and I couldn keep my fishes alive So I switched to a 20 and things picked up. No dead fish since then. So IMO 20G should be the lower limit and upper limit should be the size of your wallet.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 03:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If I had the choice between a 20 and a 29 I would go with the 20 provided it's a 20 long. I have both.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk

|
|
|
|
|
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 03:21 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariostg View Post
If I had the choice between a 20 and a 29 I would go with the 20 provided it's a 20 long. I have both.

Sent from my SGH-M919V using Tapatalk
I have 20L its a cool tank except it is tricky with the lighting.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 03:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

I was a noob that started with a 10g uncycled and threw 2 goldfish 2 plecos 5 guppies and 3 snails in (I was 7 guys). MOst of them died, but to this day the goldfish are still alive and doing well, about 5 inches long. They are my sister's now and i keep trying to tell her that her water quality is awful, her nitrates are at 100PPM. I got sidetracked, didnt i? Well, now i am starting my journey with a 55g. I would say that 20 is the lowest and for a beginner 55 is the highest, higher than that and prices start to skyrocket.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I see what you all are saying now and the scenario in which this advice of upgrading to a 20 or 29 gallon would come into place.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 11:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Bigger is better in all cases. Lots of newbies dont do the research and this is the biggest problem. For some reason aquatic like doesn't hold the same right to life as other animals.

If an individual chooses to tale care of an animal and has not done the proper research first in order to provide a quality life, the tank size is only going to help in the beginning. Overtime a big tank will go bad just like a 5g.

A 5 min google search can provide a lot of information regarding fish keeping. Spending an hour will be that much better. Putting in the time should be a requirement and not an option.

75 Gallon Low Tech w/ Green Terror Pair
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 11:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was heavily into aquariums in my youth, but that was a longtime ago. Much has changed since then. On re-entering the hobby I set up a 30g that is 36x12x16" high and a standard 10g as a quarantine tank. I have to watch the 10g very carefully. The 30g is much more stable.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode