The Planted Tank Forum banner

Filtration

676 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Audionut 
#1 ·
How much is too much? People are always saying over filtration, you can never have too much.

I just got a cheap fluval c3 HOB, I was gunna throw it on my display tank just for extra filtration, and to always have a seeded filter. But I also have a 10 gallon tank, is 150 GPH too much for a 10? I'd think idealy you'd want 50-60 on a 10 gallon.

#2 · (Edited)
The way I see filters are, add as much as you can without stressing the fish out (so they aren't just being thrown around by current) and it's not moving substrate/decor around.

Your question really isn't filtration, but more so flow. I could have a wet dry system on a 10 gallon tank, a canister filter, and a HOB and internal filter in the tank if I wanted as long as the fish could swim without too much effort and that would be over kill for filtration, but it wouldn't hurt. But I wouldn't want 500gph koralia's blowing a spiral current around the tank, etc etc.

Also, this should be moved under equipment, not under fertilizers & water parameters...

#3 ·
My main focus right now until I have my own place and I have space for more tanks is rainbows. I'm sure they wouldn't mind the current. But I'm sure a 50g rated filter is going to blow my fish around in the 10 gallon regardless. Maybe I'll just throw it on my display tank just to have a cycled filter.

#5 ·
Sorry, they are 7 1 inch fry. They will be going into the display tank soon. I thought I had an outbreak of velvet in my tank, so I put all my display fish into a 20 gallon and treated. I had ordered these 1 inch rainbows before I caught the velvet, so they got stuck in my 10 gallon plant tank as to not get infected. It's not their permanent housing lol but it has to due for a few days.

#7 ·
Tank Filtration

Hello Wick...

If you're used to changing half or more of the tank's water every few days, you don't need heavy filtration. A filter with a gph (gallon per hour) rating of four times the volume of the tank in gallons is enough to properly aerate the tank water.

Here's the thing: A filter does very little to keep the tank water clean. It just takes in toxic water and returns the same water a bit less toxic. To maintain healthy water conditions, you remove and replace at least half the water every week or even less time between changes and your fish and plants will be fine. You'll have few, if any tank problems.

B

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.