raising nitrates - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
raising nitrates

If i start feeding my fish twice/three times a day instead of just once it will help raise my nitrates correct? I'm starting a heavily planted 40b and i think thw plants might not be getting enough nitrogen, i always get a reading of 0ppm on the test kit. I plan on buying better individual powder ferts but i already blew my monthly aquarium budget on amano shrimp and i still have some premixed powder ferts i need to finish off first.

Also i have straight ammonia as well, will that be too strong and kill some plants?

And no i will not pee in my tank. Don't think the wife would like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 02:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Never put ammonia in your tank or overfeed... Stick to using fertilizers like KNO3. Just wait until you can get dry ferts.

Overfeeding could lead to algae city and dumping ammonia in your tank will harm and/or kill everything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 02:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Avoid ammonia at all cost it is a killer for your fishes. Over use of fish food will not increase your nitrates directly. Be the food eaten by the fish or wasted and decayed - in either case it first will form ammonia then nitrite and finally nitrate. So by increasing your feeding you are lefthandedly increasing ammonia.

Either wait or try to get your hands on only some potassium-nitrate separately to enhance the nitrate content of your premixed powdered fertilisers. If you could do that use it separately and don't mix it with your pre-mix.

It is not that your plants are not getting nitrates - they are - all that is happening is that there are no left-overs.

If you have a choice, you have a problem, till you elect your choice. No choice, no problem, only consequences, learn to live with them.

Last edited by essabee; 10-06-2015 at 02:34 PM. Reason: only

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 02:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

Nitrates

Hello mi...

Lighting is the most important. This is the plants' energy source. Check the requirements of your plants and provide that amount of light. If you have a good fish load in the tank, just feed them a variety of flakes, freeze dried and frozen daily and remove and replace half the tank water every week. The fish will provide the ferts and the regular water change the minerals. It's no more complicated than this. You don't really need to supplement the ferts, this costs extra and ferts can mess up the water chemistry.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 07:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Diana Walstad says, in her book Ecology of the Planted Aquarium, that she overfeeds her fish a little to provide food for the plants. As explained, this decays into ammonia. If your tank is properly cycled, the ammonia will quickly be turned into nitrites and then nitrates. This will feed plants and algae. So, it has to be balanced with the proper amount of CO2 and light to avoid algae.

Supposedly, fertilizers like Seachem Flourish are designed to feed plants without encouraging algae. A 250ml bottle of Flourish costs about $6 and will last a long time.

Some plants need nutrients in the water and some need nutrients in the substrate. Anubias get their nutrients mostly from the water. Crypts need nutrients in the substrate. If they don't get them, they put roots up into the water.

I use both Flourish liquid and Flourish tabs. The tabs are pushed down into the substrate about every 4-6". The tabs are rather expensive at almost $1 per tab. Fertilizer tabs are available from other companies for much less $$.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Thanks everyone. I forgot to mention I'm already using diy osmocote plus root tabs but I'm still seeing deficiencies in my plants.

That's what i figured, fish eat more = more waste = ammonia etc etc. I might end up getting more fish since I'm around 75% stocked. I'll definitely be getting KNO3 to start EI dosing.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 01:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argus View Post
Diana Walstad says, in her book Ecology of the Planted Aquarium, that she overfeeds her fish a little to provide food for the plants. As explained, this decays into ammonia. If your tank is properly cycled, the ammonia will quickly be turned into nitrites and then nitrates. This will feed plants and algae. So, it has to be balanced with the proper amount of CO2 and light to avoid algae.

Supposedly, fertilizers like Seachem Flourish are designed to feed plants without encouraging algae. A 250ml bottle of Flourish costs about $6 and will last a long time.

Some plants need nutrients in the water and some need nutrients in the substrate. Anubias get their nutrients mostly from the water. Crypts need nutrients in the substrate. If they don't get them, they put roots up into the water.

I use both Flourish liquid and Flourish tabs. The tabs are pushed down into the substrate about every 4-6". The tabs are rather expensive at almost $1 per tab. Fertilizer tabs are available from other companies for much less $$.
In her book, there are also references and a chart that shows that many plants will favor ammonium to nitrates. Hence potentially, nitrogen will be assimilated by the plants before it becomes nitrates. That is also why human made biological filters aren't so good in a well planted as the plants need to compete with bacterias.

Also some plants may/can switch nitrogen source during day and night.

Edit:
The chart actually show NO3 and NH4 uptake by a specific plant in regard to concentration of NH4 and NO3. It shows that the plant will start assimilate the NO3 when NH4 is pretty much exhausted.

|
|
|
|
|

Last edited by Mariostg; 10-07-2015 at 01:09 AM. Reason: added stuff.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode