125 Gal. after 1 month of EI dosing - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (71/100%)
125 Gal. after 1 month of EI dosing

I have been doing planted tanks for about a year and a half now. I have gone through a few tanks, but my current 125 gal is the only one that has gone beyond low tech. Even now it is only medium tech I would say.

4x54 Catalina T5HO about 12 hours a day
cheapo pressurized co2 system with a ceramic diffuser sitting under a power head
daily EI dosing premixed in a dosing bottle

I was dosing Flourish Comprehensive for the first 6 months and the tank did pretty well and looked like this. I was pretty happy with it.

I had some free dry ferts that came with some equipment I bought from a guy here on PT. I was always hesitant to use them because I thought it would be too much work and be too complicated. But I finally got around to using it. I also upped the lighting and co2. Here is what it looked like exactly one month later.

That was on 9/10. It is still filling in very fast. But I need to do some more thinning and triming, especially on that blyxa japonica.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 08:36 PM
ShrimpRetirement

PTrader: (397/100%)
Love your scape Jason. Your tank looks awesome man. Congrats on a great looking tank!

|
|
|
|
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 11:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
what are the dimensions?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

It is a standard 125. 72" x 18" x 24"

Some of the plants have gotten out of hand because I am trying to hold off on a major trim for our local plant swap next Saturday. But I have had to thin out the aromatica to keep it from getting so thick it chokes itself out.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 02:15 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just gorgeous, great job! I guess the dry ferts that you were a little afraid of is paying off dividends.

90 gal, eheim 2217, pressure co2, 4x54w T5HO.
Eheim limp #432
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks. They did. But that was a couple of tanks ago and I have learned a lot since then. I still dose EI, but I am doing a completely different tank. My current 150 gal tank gets double EI just to keep up with the plants growing on the drip wall attached to the tank. The journal for my latest tank is in my signature.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 02:13 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikesjason View Post
Thanks. They did. But that was a couple of tanks ago and I have learned a lot since then. I still dose EI, but I am doing a completely different tank. My current 150 gal tank gets double EI just to keep up with the plants growing on the drip wall attached to the tank. The journal for my latest tank is in my signature.
Took some time to read your 150 tank journal. Very nice! You're right , the depth of the tank gives more breathing room and opens up scaping options. I love your discus...been hesitant on keeping some due to cost but I might give them a try. Thx.

I just noticed you're in Portland. Me too...SE Pdx. I have a 90 gal and shut it down a few years ago and now I'm back. I should do a journal too.

Eheim limp #432
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I am in the Beaverton/Hillsboro area.

What are the dimensions on your 90?

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 04:57 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikesjason View Post
I am in the Beaverton/Hillsboro area.

What are the dimensions on your 90?
48X24X18. I like this size for the height and depth. So far it's bare, waiting for my catalina lights that will arrive tomorrow, 4x54w T5HO. I'll go to the wet spot fish store this weekend and load up my tank! Gonna dose EI, pressure CO2, eheim...the usual. Feels good to get back into the hobby.

Eheim limp #432

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode