Ferts in a shrimp tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Oopsie doosies.

PTrader: (28/100%)
Ferts in a shrimp tank?

So just a little clarification question!

I have Nilocg's Micro and Macro bottles of liquid ferts, can I dose that in my tank to help keep my plants healthy? If not, is there anything that would act as a fertilizer to just boost plant growth?

Thanks

No matter how hard you try, you cannot escape this hobby. You have been warned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 12:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Your Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixkiller View Post
So just a little clarification question!

I have Nilocg's Micro and Macro bottles of liquid ferts, can I dose that in my tank to help keep my plants healthy? If not, is there anything that would act as a fertilizer to just boost plant growth?

Thanks
Hello phoe...

If you keep low to moderate light plants, you really don't need to dose commercial fertilizers. If you have a reasonable number of shrimp, and feed them regularly, their wastes will dissolve and feed the plants.

More important than nutrients is lighting. Check the requirements of the plants you have and give them the amount they need.

Last, keep the tank water clean with large, weekly water changes. The smaller the tank, the more often you need to remove and replace the water.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 04:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post

Last, keep the tank water clean with large, weekly water changes. The smaller the tank, the more often you need to remove and replace the water.

B
I agree in principle with frequent water changes, and paying more attention to smaller tanks which could go out of whack fairly quickly.

However, for shrimp tanks, I do not think large, frequent water changes are appropriate. Dwarf freshwater shrimp like you plan on keeping (neos if IIRC) prefer stability. Frequent WC sure, but smaller volume.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 05:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

Water Changes

Hello Daisy...

Water that stays in a small cube, like a fish tank, changes by the hour due to constant contact with the outside air (evaporation) and filtration. Wastes can build to toxic levels very quickly and a small tank just hasn't the volume of water to dilute these wastes. Shrimp are no more tolerant of less than pure water conditions than are fish. Nature keeps a steady source of pure water going through its streams, lakes and ponds. It makes sense for us as water keepers to do the same.

Just one reporter's opinion.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2015, 09:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

Hello as well, @BBradbury.

As I said, I agree with you in principle about frequent and large water changes. I happen to think that this is a "best practice" as far as aquarium maintenance is concerned. Where we disagree is in applying this as a universal solution to all aquariums. I believe it works for you, otherwise you would not be advising it as often as I have seen on this forum.

Disagreement is good, it promotes discussion, I hope the civilized kind. Without disagreement, discoveries would not be made. New practices and new ways of doing things would not happen. Life as we know it would stagnate.

I define frequent WC as weekly or more frequent.
I define large WC as 50% or more.

Where a large frequent WC would not work as a universal solution-
In my personal experience, one of my tanks has a gravel substrate and five small fish. Low light, low light plants. I have soft water, TDS 20-25, so, minimal minerals there.
I did not start off with fertilizers, thinking the plants would be fine with fish food, fish poop, and water changes.
I had to change this practice. The plants started to show signs of deficiency, iron first, now potassium. Had I continued not fertilizing and only doing WCs, my plants would continue to suffer and algae would abound, even with low light totaling 7.5 hours per day.
So, I still do a 50% WC on this tank weekly, but I also supplement with a small dose of fertilizer. The tank is overall better with this regimen.

We are all different fish keepers with different situations. All I really want to say is that the hobbyist needs to tailor the tank tinkering to their own particular needs. One size does not fit all. Thank you for reading.

PS @phoenixkiller-
For my shrimp tanks I dose Excel and Fluorish comp weekly after WC, followed the next day by iron and Excel (mosses, low light plants in all tanks). So far it is working to keep plants healthy. Should things change, I would tailor my intervention based on the tank symptoms.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode