What ferts should I be using? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
What ferts should I be using?

My 10 gallon is stocked with RCS, nerites, amanos and pygmy corys. I've got a plethora of plants including bacopa monnieri, anubias, java moss, a moss ball, alternanthera reineckii, ludwigia, corckscrew vals and dwarf sag.

Currently I do Flourish two times a week and Leafzone once a week. I doubt I'm fulfilling everything my plants need, so I'd like to determine the proper ferts and amounts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 03:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
beisdes flora and fauna, a good starting point is to tell what light you are using, CO2 yes or no? more details will help.

46 Bowfront:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CAPS - Chicago Aquatic Plant Society
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphabeta View Post
beisdes flora and fauna, a good starting point is to tell what light you are using, CO2 yes or no? more details will help.
Sorry, currently running two screw in style 15w CFL tube bulbs (like so) and no CO2.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 04:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Using Fertilizers

Hello eb...

Other than water treatment, I wouldn't put any fertilizers in the water. The water in a small tank can change quickly and that's not good for anything that lives there. Putting commercial fertilizers in the water will definitely change the water chemistry.

The best ferts are those the living things in the tank produce. Add to this the proper lighting and changing half the tank water every 3 or 4 days for a small tank and you'll have no tank problems.

Just one reporter's opinion though, you're "The Boss of the Tank".

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 04:12 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

in this case, most likely you are already doing enough of fertilization. Probably just the food waster, and regular WC will give enough ferts to your plants.
Why do you think you are having not enough ferts? any signs of deficiency? plants dying?

46 Bowfront:

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello eb...

Other than water treatment, I wouldn't put any fertilizers in the water. The water in a small tank can change quickly and that's not good for anything that lives there. Putting commercial fertilizers in the water will definitely change the water chemistry.

The best ferts are those the living things in the tank produce. Add to this the proper lighting and changing half the tank water every 3 or 4 days for a small tank and you'll have no tank problems.

Just one reporter's opinion though, you're "The Boss of the Tank".

B
Half the tank water every 3-4 days? Really? Wow, I've only been doing 25% every two weeks at least. The water params stay well within 0/0/0/<=20ppm. I just top it off with treated water until it comes time for the next 25% WC and haven't had any issues so far, everyone seems to be thriving and the shrimp population is exploding.

Bump:
Quote:
in this case, most likely you are already doing enough of fertilization. Probably just the food waster, and regular WC will give enough ferts to your plants.
Why do you think you are having not enough ferts? any signs of deficiency? plants dying?
Yeah, my Alternanthera Reineckii isn't doing too hot and thus the Amanos munch on it. I've got some older stems of Bacopa that shot up and got real thick, they've stalled. I also planted a few more stems of Bacopa ~3 weeks ago and they haven't 'caught on'.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 04:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

"everyone seems to be thriving and the shrimp population is exploding."

this answers your question just stick with what you are doing. More frequent WC will not hurt, and 50% instead of 25% will not hurt too.

46 Bowfront:

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I was under the impression that it was better to keep the water changes small unless something catastrophic happens? Should I be doing larger ones?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 04:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Alternanthera Reineckii needs a little bit more light, and some CO2 to do well.
I would suggests to start with more frequent WC. that gives some food to your plants, at micro level and some CO2 too.
Also, you may try to add small amounts of glut, as CO2 supplement. Like 1-2ml a day. make a DYI from metricide 14 to save some $.
the light should be ok for now, although it is on lower end.

Bump: 50% WC weekly is a norm these days. of course doing 90% daily would be too much.

46 Bowfront:

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Alternanthera Reineckii needs a little bit more light, and some CO2 to do well.
I would suggests to start with more frequent WC. that gives some food to your plants, at micro level and some CO2 too.
Also, you may try to add small amounts of glut, as CO2 supplement. Like 1-2ml a day. make a DYI from metricide 14 to save some $.
the light should be ok for now, although it is on lower end.

Bump: 50% WC weekly is a norm these days. of course doing 90% daily would be too much.
Awesome, I'll give the Metricide 14 @ 1-2ml/daily a shot. I've been considering an LED light setup, I had my eye on the Finnex Stingray, but I don't know if it would equal to/less than/better than what I'm running now. I'll also bump up the WC to once a week and up the amount.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 05:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Caution: note that Metricide 14 is a concentrated Excel Seachem. Flourish Excel
First, dilute it 1:2 with distilled or RO water, which will yield approximately the same concentration as Excel. Then start slowly with 1ml of that solution per 10gl, and you can go to 2ml per day.
I found handy to use a bottle from hand sanitizer with pump for dosing. One pump is about 1.5ml (?) but you have to check individual pump/bottle what it does.

also, you can always build an auto dosing pump, arduino, some pumps etc.

Bump: one more thing. When you buy mitricide 14, it comes with some activator (small bottle). Do NOT use it, just toss it out. Use what comes in the big bottle (a gallon or half gallon).

46 Bowfront:

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Caution: note that Metricide 14 is a concentrated Excel Seachem. Flourish Excel
First, dilute it 1:2 with distilled or RO water, which will yield approximately the same concentration as Excel. Then start slowly with 1ml of that solution per 10gl, and you can go to 2ml per day.
I found handy to use a bottle from hand sanitizer with pump for dosing. One pump is about 1.5ml (?) but you have to check individual pump/bottle what it does.

also, you can always build an auto dosing pump, arduino, some pumps etc.

Bump: one more thing. When you buy mitricide 14, it comes with some activator (small bottle). Do NOT use it, just toss it out. Use what comes in the big bottle (a gallon or half gallon).
Do you know where I can find a good list of plants that will not survive with glut/excel/metricide?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 05:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

vals, some crypts, some mosses, Anachris, guppy grass appear to be sensitive to it. but this is case by case.

46 Bowfront:

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
vals, some crypts, some mosses, Anachris, guppy grass appear to be sensitive to it. but this is case by case.
haha I've got Corkscrew Vals x10, Crypt Wendtii x4-5 and a big mass of java moss.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 07:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
At one ml per 10 gallons of water, glutaraldehyde (Excel) will not harm vals or crypts. At 5 ml per 10 gallons of water, it does harm them. My vals get 2 ml per 10 gallons of water and they do fine. Java moss is very rugged, so I suspect it will do ok with 2 ml per 10 gallons too. (I haven't tried it.)

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode