Cloudy water with CO2 (DIY). - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cloudy water with CO2 (DIY).

Hello,

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right section so if it isn't, please move this thread to the right one.

This question has been asked on a couple of other general aquarium sites but noone could give me a definitive answer so I'm hoping someone here can:

On a number of occasions I've put in a new bottle of CO2 and a few hours later the water turns very cloudy, very much like in a bacterial bloom. When it does, it always happens when I put in a new bottle but there is no sign of overflow. The fish and plants don't seem to mind it much. As far as I can tell, the water smells normal. I usually do a large water change or two and the problem clears up after a day or so.

Has anyone encountered this and / or knows what "IT" is? Is it dangerous and should I be worried? Is there some kind of chemical reaction between CO2 and, I don't know, water conditioner? At work I use Tetra AquaSafe but I have had it happen at home with other brands as well. I just hate it when things happen and I don't understand why

Margaret.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 08:48 PM
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to Granz
Hey,

I don't know if this will help but I too am using a DIY CO2 (Yeast/Sugar). I read about some problems that could happen with minimal damage such as yeast getting into the water. Some suggestions that were presented in the thread was putting a 'check valve' on just so you know for sure that there is no over flow. I have one on my DIY CO2 and have yet to have any problems. Other than some minimal drops of yeast or anything in the take I really would not know what is causing the discoloring of your tank water.

I would just be safe and get a 'check valve' for you LFS. They usually run like a buck or so and you never know this might solve your problems if you currently don't have one. Another suggestion was to put the DIY CO2 bottle higher than the surface level of your fish tank. Keeps it from trying to syphon into the tank as well. I don't do this since I have a 'check valve' but if you wanted extra protection this would help.

Hope this helps.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 09:20 PM
amp
Planted Member

PTrader: (40/100%)
Add a gas separator/bubble counter to your set up. Something like this or you can build one out a small soda bottle.

EHEIM PIMP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CASCADE PIMP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 09:40 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
whats your method of diffusion?

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Granz,

I do have a check valve on the system between the bottle and the tank. THis has happened a few times when I knew for sure I did not have any back flow problems and also took care that no yeast solution got anywhere close to the tank.

Amp,

where would I get something like this?

Tacoman,

You may be on to something... When I think about it now, I'm pretty sure all the times this has happened was when I used a regular air stone to disperse the CO2. I've used the ceramic ones and the regular blue/green ones. Is there something in those things that reacts with the CO2?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 02:41 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
check this link, somewhat similar to your situation

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...ial-bloom.html

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 05:18 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)
+1 to Amp.

a gas separator/bubble counter is just a container of liquid that makes sure there is no residue when the co2 is injected into the tank. a sign of this would be cloudy water or strings of what seems like mucus on plants. just get a mini water bottle..or any water bottle..and make one line go into the water.. then have one air line out of the water bringing the co2 to your main tank.

or you can buy one at

http://www.bigalsonline.com/edealinv...x=0&submit.y=0

or

http://pet-supplies.drsfostersmith.c..._switch_search

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I think that must be it - I have seen the stringy/mucousy thing around the air stone before. Will try to build a separator out of a bottle and see how that works.

Thanks everyone!

margaret

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode