Flourish Nitrogen question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Flourish Nitrogen question

Hey guys I have a quick question about flourish nitrogen. When I am doing nitrogen tests should I be testing for K2O which is what I believe it provides (under the guaranteed analysis on the website) or should I be testing for KNO3 which is what I see everyone else testing for. I'm pretty sure the answer is K2O but I would just like to make sure. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 12:18 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
From Wikipedia:

"The chemical formula K2O is used in the N-P-K (nitrogen-phosphorus-potassium) numbers on the labels of fertilizers. Although K2O is the correct formula for potassium oxide, potassium oxide is not used as a fertilizer in these products. Normally, potassium chloride, potassium sulfate, or potassium carbonate is used as a fertilizer source for potassium. The percentage of K2O given on the label only represents the amount of potassium in the fertilizer if it was in the form of potassium oxide. Potassium oxide is about 83% potassium by weight, but potassium chloride, for instance, is only 52% potassium by weight. Potassium chloride provides less potassium than an equal amount of potassium oxide. Thus, if a fertilizer is 30% potassium chloride by weight, its standard potassium rating, based on potassium oxide, would be only 19%."

Long story short, test for nitrates. Potassium test will also help you determine if you have sufficient potassium.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ah good call sorry about that. Thanks again

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 08:44 PM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
Flourish Nitrogen: http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...hNitrogen.html

F. Nitrogen contains nitrate and ammonium for nitrate sources. Their website says to double your nitrate reading for a good approximation of the total nitrogen.

"Flourish Nitrogen™ is a concentrated (15,000 mg/L) blend of nitrogen sources. It provides nitrogen in both the nitrate form and the plant-preferred ammonium form. ... Because one-half of the nitrogen in Flourish Nitrogen™ is from nitrate you can get a reasonable estimate of nitrogen levels by doubling a nitrate reading, ..."

EHEIM PIMP #164
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode