Iron/rust when recharging Purigen? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Question Iron/rust when recharging Purigen?

Has anyone had an iron smell or rust when recharging Purigen before? I'm assuming the Purigen shouldn't be used again but I'd really like to figure out what went wrong.

I have some 100 ml bags of Purigen I recharged 3-4 days ago. This was it's third recharge. After the bleach solution (1 cup water and 1 cup pure bleach in a plastic jar) I rinsed thoroughly and then set it to soak in 1 cup water and 4 tbsp Prime per directions. I accidentally left it in the Prime solution closer to 12 hours than 8, but I did that last time too with no problems. When I went to rinse out the Prime solution, the normally strong smell of Prime was barely noticeable. I rinsed it well and noticed it smelled like iron. I put it in a jar with tap water for short-term storage. When I looked at the jar this morning -- about 60-72 hours later -- the water was a rusty orange color, had a very strong iron smell and had stained the Purigen.

I'd really like to figure out what went wrong so this doesn't happen again. Googling purigen with rust or iron hasn't turned anything up. My best guess is that the Purigen absorbed chelated iron from my CSM+B doses which was then oxidized by the bleach and/or Prime. Does that seam likely to any of you with more chemistry expertise?

The iron smell is strong enough I'm pretty sure it didn't come from the tap water or I would have noticed it before. Plus, if it had, I think I would have a much easier time keeping my red plants red.

Tags
iron, purigen, purigen recharge, rust

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode