[[ Fert Storage & Dosing ]] - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Post [[ Fert Storage & Dosing ]]

Since there seems to be a ton of different wide-spread suggestions about Fertilizer's I wanted to start a thread where experienced people can offer TRUE and TESTED methods.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For people using the E.I method or people storing drt fertz,
Which method is the best?
Should the dry fertz be mixed into solutions?
Should the macro's be mixed into 1 solution or separate?
Is adding SeaChem Excel to the Plantex Solution really a good idea?
Is it perfectly fine to keep all of the fertz Dry and dose that way?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Right now I have ALL my fertz and my Plantex as well siting in Tupperware containers. I have the measuring spoons for the small doses so I just scoop and dry dose the tank. Is this a bad method/is there a more efficient way of doing this?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Can someone also reply with a good method to MAKE solutions, I have heard a few different things and it would be nice to have someone with experience explain exactly how to make the correct solution for these Fertz.

Thank you everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 02:13 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

This is a good idea thanks I'm interested in the opinion of the experts that have done the experiments with this
And what about osmocote has anyone used this and if they have what is the best way of doing this fert???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Jboone, I use Oscomote Plus, I bought them already packaged in pill casing's from an E-bay seller at an amazingly fair price. The best advice I can give is when you place them in the substrate, place the horizontal! If you place the pill up and down, as the the pill swells from water and heat it will push the little Oscomote ball's to the top of the substrate. As long as you place them horizontal and about an inch into the substrate they will work better then ANY market Root Tab's. The growth rate in my stem plant's is much better, the sword's are flourishing TOO much to the point where I had to start cutting back healthy plant's just to keep it from coming out of the tank.

I am still however waiting for answer's on these Fert questions from someone with experience!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 04:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
So, consider my advice of "limited experience", that said I've been doing this for a year now without issues and good growth.

Realistically, the answer to most of your questions is "it depends"...

Quote:
"it depends"
Are you asking about EI vs PPS Pro or dry vs liquid dosing?

EI vs PPS pro "it depends" on your growth rate and water change schedules.
dry vs liquid dosing is covered in the next question.

Quote:
"it depends"
For small tanks, dry dosing fertilizers is impractical, as nobody makes a 1/256th teaspoon measure.. Mixing solutions is a great way to avoid doses so small that they are impossible to measure accurately. Instead of measuring 1/256th of a teaspoon, you can mix 1 teaspoon into 256ml of water, and dose 1ml at a time..

Larger tanks sometimes use liquid mixes for various reasons, mostly to allow the use of peristaltic dosing pumps to add fertilizers automatically.

Quote:
"it depends"..

Mixing them all together is convenient if you know exactly what your tank needs. If you are still experimenting and tweaking dosing, it is better to have them separated.

Personally I find my NO3/PO4 tend to track pretty closely together with my fish load. K2SO4 is something I dose to make up for lost K when I have to cut back my KNO3/KH2PO4 dosing because my livebearers have overpopulated (again). While I currently keep everything in separate solutions, I have considered making a unified KNO3/KH2PO4 mix..

Really the only thing to avoid is mixing anything containing PO4 with anything containing Fe (iron) in the same concetrate bottle.. These two will react to make an insoluble precipitate..

Quote:
Yes, unless you mix so little you use it in a week. Plantex CSM+B mixed in water grows globs of mold pretty quickly, as does DTPA Fe.

Quote:
"it depends"

Dry dosing is just fine as long as your tank is big enough that you're not measuring impossibly small amounts.. as above, dry dosing doesn't work for smaller tanks..

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 06:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
There is no such thing as a best method. Some will work better for others and vice versa.
Makes no difference, whatever works best for you
99% of the time separate is going to be best.
It will help avoid mold, but isnt 100% necessary.
Absolutely.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode