Epsom salt dosing, and EI?'s - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
So I'm going to dose some Epsom salt with my micros. I'm having a hard time locating exactly how much I can add.

I read that I can dose it with my micros, and at the same ratio. So 1/4 tsp of micro, 1/4 tsp of Epsom salt, and 1/4 tsp of iron?

This would be every other day of course.

Another thing to consider is that I've added crushed coral to my filter and I now have a pretty steady KH of 3 instead of always trying to get it to 3 because it kept falling below 1 after a day or two. Plants didn't do well with low kh, since i started to dose baking soda there was improvement. Its hard to maintain an even kh with baking soda in a tank that uses it so quickly or loses it or w/e.
Just throwing that out there.

I also have the same problem with my GH, just not as bad. I try and keep it at 3, and to do so i have to dose it a few times a week. Which is more than the 1tsp on the off day. That being said do you see any issue with this?

The last question is how do I add phosphate to my tank? I'm dosing Kh2po4 at the recommended dose, but I think i have a phosphate deficiency. Is there a way to dose it separately?

I also read that you can dose two times the amount your supposed to for awhile and see if things change... I'm also looking into lowering my KNO3 and if I do that I just add K2so4? This is all very confusing to me.

I just dosed 1/2 tsp of Epsom salt into my 75g. I think i was supposed to do 1/4, but I'm not actually sure I dosed 1/4 or 1/2 ... lol, its been a long day at work and the kid was on one. That being said I have pearling on several plants for the first time ever. Is this possiible? or is it probably a coincidence. The effected plants are not the ones that are pearling of course, but none the less its exciting to finally see pearling in my tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 09-23-2015 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 01:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Aquarium Calculators | Low cost aquarium plant food and fertiliser methods
This calculator will give you the correct amount of MGSO4 to use.
You can dose at either micro or macro. Also check to see what this one says in relation to what you are now dosing for the KH2PO4.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 03:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
If the GH is low, then I would also be concerned about calcium.

GH is a measure of both calcium and magnesium.
Epsom salt is just magnesium.
Adding enough Epsom salt to make the GH test read a certain value may not be enough.

Look into a more complete GH booster that will add calcium, too.

Crushed coral provides calcium and carbonates. (coral is mostly calcium carbonate, with small amounts of magnesium and other minerals) If the GH is stable, perhaps about 2-3 degrees, with just the coral, then boosting it about another 1 degree with Epsom salt might be just about right. The water needs to be slightly acidic for the coral to dissolve well.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can dose each of these separately:

KNO3 provides both K and N. But if the NO3 from fish food is already high enough, then do not dose this. The plants will still need potassium, though.

KH2PO4 provides P. It is usually dosed in such small amounts that the K almost does not count. If you are having problems with phosphate levels, and want to dose more, go for it, but as far as the potassium goes it is still a very small amount. Do you have a phosphate test?
No, you do not want to add phosphorus by itself to water.
If the NO3 from fish food is pretty high, then the phosphates are probably OK, too.

K2SO4 provides K and S. Mostly it is used as a substitute for KNO3, or as a supplement for additional potassium.

If you start with a recipe, a method, and find it is not working for you then adjust ONE thing at a time, and allow the tank to adjust to the altered recipe- perhaps a week minimum, or a month if the change is small. Then alter something else.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you I hadn't seen this tool yet. I will check it out for sure.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
If the GH is low, then I would also be concerned about calcium.

GH is a measure of both calcium and magnesium.
Epsom salt is just magnesium.
Adding enough Epsom salt to make the GH test read a certain value may not be enough.

Look into a more complete GH booster that will add calcium, too.

Crushed coral provides calcium and carbonates. (coral is mostly calcium carbonate, with small amounts of magnesium and other minerals) If the GH is stable, perhaps about 2-3 degrees, with just the coral, then boosting it about another 1 degree with Epsom salt might be just about right. The water needs to be slightly acidic for the coral to dissolve well.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can dose each of these separately:

KNO3 provides both K and N. But if the NO3 from fish food is already high enough, then do not dose this. The plants will still need potassium, though.

KH2PO4 provides P. It is usually dosed in such small amounts that the K almost does not count. If you are having problems with phosphate levels, and want to dose more, go for it, but as far as the potassium goes it is still a very small amount. Do you have a phosphate test?
No, you do not want to add phosphorus by itself to water.
If the NO3 from fish food is pretty high, then the phosphates are probably OK, too.

K2SO4 provides K and S. Mostly it is used as a substitute for KNO3, or as a supplement for additional potassium.

If you start with a recipe, a method, and find it is not working for you then adjust ONE thing at a time, and allow the tank to adjust to the altered recipe- perhaps a week minimum, or a month if the change is small. Then alter something else.
Nice, this clarifies things so much for me. I will have a few questions once I digest it a bit more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

That calculator dosing schedule is way different than the one I've been using from Nilocg. Here is the calcualtor dosing schedule based on my 75g:

Day 1 : 50% water change then add 7/8tsp KNO3, 1/4 tsp KH2PO4, 2 and 1/8 tsp mgso4
Day 2 : 1/4 tsp of TNC Trace (?) same as CSM+ ?
Day 3: same as day 1 minus the water change
Day 4: same as day 2
Day 5 : same as day 1 minus the water change
Day 6: rest
Day 7: rest

That being said here is the one I have been using from nilocg:

Which one is better? and is that an accurate amount of mgso4? seems like a lot. That being said my tank is way more healthy with the mgso4 already.

Also is the plantex csm + the same as the TNC trace?

and if I use this calcator dosing schedule do I add GH booster still?

Thanks

Also how much iron should I dose, I'm currently dosing it with the micros and at the same rate?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 09-26-2015 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

bump, i really need to know which dosing technique is better, and of course the other questions.

I just wanted to update a bit on the use of mgso4... the plants or some of them especially the diandra have exploded. I'd say the plants have increased in mass by at least 30% in only 4 days. This is pretty remarkable actually. I already have to trim the Diandra, Ludwigia sp 'Red', and the Tonia Fluvatis. It has also seemed to make my Cabombas grow more compact. Pretty cool stuff.
But with all the extra dosing green spot algae is starting to become prevalent, that being said it could be cuz i haven't cleaned one of my filters in over a month and there is a lot of cleaning i need to do atm...

Last edited by BayazGouramiz; 09-26-2015 at 11:38 PM. Reason: ..

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode