Questions about tank going out of wack.. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Questions about tank going out of wack..

This is a well established Planted Tank 3 or 4 yrs now.
Pressurized CO2 , Eheim Canister,
Milwaukee 122 controller set at 6.7-6.8 Ferts dose NPK
Lights Power Compacts Dual 65 watters on timers one is always on the other only partr of the day... ( 37 gallon Oceanic Cube Tank )
Anyways, here we go..
I Cleaned out the Filter the other day, it has the efimech and efi substrate and a couple of sponge's that come with it. I lightly wrung out the Sponges Only Tap water, since they were real messy. The rest I didn't touch.. I also added a new 65 watt Power Compact light since the one went dead. So I'm back to running both sets of 65 watters. I did back off on using both lights since I installed the new bulb. That's why I alternate for starters..
Anyways, it didn't take long to start accumilating ( brush, possibly bba ) ....
Question: Wonder if this had something to do with the Cleaning of the Filter here ??
Gotta feeling it did. Might have thrown things otta wack here..
Would like to get rid of this algae since right before it, it was looking real good.
I probley should not use the new 65 watter and just stick with the other one until I get things a little back to normal and then gradually ramp up.... How about WC's ? I do those once per wk. @ 50% . Wonder if I should increase for a while 2-3 x per wk @ 50%?? Like I mentioned, everything was fine until I cleaned out on that Filter.. Hmm....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 03:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
With a pH limited to 6.7 at the lowest, you are very likely not giving the plants enough CO2. That depends on what the KH of the water is. BBA has been found to start primarily when we have too little CO2 in the water, and/or do not have good enough water circulation in the tank to maintain a good concentration of CO2 all over the tank.

Why don't you disconnect the pH controller for now, then establish the CO2 concentration at around 30 ppm with a drop checker and/or by watching for pearling to begin within a couple of hours of when you turn on the CO2. Now, measure the pH of the tank water, and use that number as the control point for the pH controller.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode