API Nitrate test with ada maya soil... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
API Nitrate test with ada maya soil...

Hi all,

I can't seem to get my nitrate below 40 according to my API test kit (which is in date). I'm starting to think its reading faulty and I think i remember reading somewhere this can happen with ada soil.... I've done 2x 100% water changes and its still reading I have nitrate when I have no living animal in the aquarium, only plants....

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 12:25 PM
Banned

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 01:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
+1... API nitrate test kits often read *VERY* high.. I've shaken the *bleep* out of mine every time I've used it and it is in date. It consistently reads 6 times actual levels, and I've checked it by making reference solutions. And yes, I said 6 times.. so 20ppm reads as 120ppm, 30 as 150, 3 as 18, etc.

Don't believe nitrate tests without checking them.. substantial miscalibration is common.

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you very much for confirming this about API. Very frustrating.
Have you found any test kits that are accurate?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2015, 12:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
To be honest, I personally wouldn't trust any brand without mixing up a reference out of KNO3 and distilled water to check it...

I have an API test that reads 6x actual, but it is at least very consistent (as long as I shake well), as in it always reads the same color for a given level of nitrate. However, the numbers on the scale are off. (The test is precise, but not accurate)

I also have a Salifert test that consistently reads correctly , at least within the ability of my eye to judge the colors. (The test is accurate and precise).

However, I can't say if Salifert is any better or worse than API, just the particular Salifert test I have happens to be more accurate than the particular API test I have.

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode