Root Tabs? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Root Tabs?

Hey, everyone.

I was recently using the Flourish line of fertilizers and was just converted to dry fertilizers (this pack). Is it a good idea to have root tabs in the tank? I have a set of fairly fresh Flourish tabs, but should I replace them when they're done? If so, what with? Any particular brand?

Thanks, guys.

EDIT: My bad, left out the details. 29g; 65w; plants (rooted ones, at least) are only Moneywort, Amazon Swords, and some small Crypts; 60lbs Eco Complete; soon-to-arrive-at-my-door CO2 injection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 10:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by _ReApEr View Post
I was recently using the Flourish line of fertilizers and was just converted to dry fertilizers (this pack). Is it a good idea to have root tabs in the tank? I have a set of fairly fresh Flourish tabs, but should I replace them when they're done?
That depends on how well your plants are doing. Are you planning to breakdown the tank now? Beware crypts melt a little when moved. They come back most of the time. They might need root tabs.

I read Tallen44 used the root tabs in the beginning. Now he doesn't dose any ferts. Those tabs add iron to the substrate. I am planning on using pond tabs for they have a lot of Nitrogen which my plants need.

For me the dry ferts, I calculated would last 4x as the liquids. It would be interesting know how long yours last.

I have a 29 gallon tank too. What lights are you using? Can't wait to see some pictures.

Last edited by Hilde; 09-08-2009 at 01:16 AM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 10:33 PM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
I've used Jobe's fertilizer sticks, and they grow plants great, but I soon got green water because they became exposed to the water column pretty easily.

-Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-07-2009, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Here is a picture. I'm using the Single Satellite 65w CFL fixture with a 6700/10000 bulb. Yeah, I'm looking forward to having to spend much less on fertilizers. Here's the thing: if the root tabs will help the plants be the best they can be, it's worth the extra $7 every two or three months to me. I'm just kind of wondering if they'll be made obsolete with the dry ferts, but I hadn't considered they offer iron while dry ferts don't. I'll probably just keep them.

Thanks!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 01:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Looking good!! Everything is growing good. I don't think you will need the root tabs with that package you ordered. Especially since you will Eco-complete which has iron in it. I may get that dry fert package when I run at of the liquids.

I would like to see a plant that sways in it like Hygro willow. Hoppy grows it.

If you want to post the picture just copy the image link, click on the box with mountain and past the link there.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 01:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
If you want super explosive growth and super healthy plants I say go for it. You can ever provide TOO many nutrients for your plants. I have ADA Aquasoil in my tanks and from time to time when I feel like it throw a couple in the substrate to get some extra growth.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 06:05 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I use root tabs on my huge Amazon Sword b/c they seem to use alot of K (potash). I have been trying to figre out how to make my own.

any tips?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 06:09 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 02:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
Looking good!! Everything is growing good. I don't think you will need the root tabs with that package you ordered. Especially since you will Eco-complete which has iron in it. I may get that dry fert package when I run at of the liquids.

I would like to see a plant that sways in it like Hygro willow. Hoppy grows it.

If you want to post the picture just copy the image link, click on the box with mountain and past the link there.
I haven't used the Willow leaf Hygro for many months. It was just too fast a grower for me to cope with. But, it is a very nice looking plant in the tank.

Hoppy
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 02:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCat594 View Post
I use root tabs on my huge Amazon Sword b/c they seem to use alot of K (potash). I have been trying to figre out how to make my own.

any tips?
"Amazon sword" plants spread a massive root system all over the substrate, from front to back, end to end. A plant tab placed anywhere in the substrate can't possibly be feeding all of those roots. So, it makes good sense to me to just fertilize the water and let the plant get its nutrients through the leaves, which it does very well - that's why it becomes a big sword plant with roots all over the substrate. In my opinion, not supported by any research, "root feeder" plants are just plants like any others, and they do very well with a good water column fertilizing program, like the EI method.

The massive root systems those plants have are, in my opinion, primarily there to anchor the plant so the river doesn't sweep it away, and so, in dry seasons, the plant can still remain alive.

Hoppy
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 04:07 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I disagree with you about root feeders, Hoppy, especially in relation to swords.

In the Amazon river system, swords are typically found in almost nutrient-free water. The majority of the nutrients in this system are found in the substrate. In addition, the swords transition seasonally from submerged to emerged growth- and the nutrients once the waters have gone down are obtained almost completely through the substrate.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 05:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
I disagree with you about root feeders, Hoppy, especially in relation to swords.

In the Amazon river system, swords are typically found in almost nutrient-free water. The majority of the nutrients in this system are found in the substrate. In addition, the swords transition seasonally from submerged to emerged growth- and the nutrients once the waters have gone down are obtained almost completely through the substrate.
I'm sure you are correct about swords being root feeders but, the roots of swords and crypts must still manage to get nutrients from the water. After all, they are effectively suspended in the water via the gravel. Kind of like hydroponics in my opinion. I haven't used root tabs for years but you wouldn't know it looking at my crypts.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2009, 06:31 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Oh, I'm not disagreeing about their ability to pull nutrients from the water, I've no doubt that their leaves are just as able to take in water-column nutrients as any other plant, just that I also think that they are very able to draw in enough nutrients through their roots alone.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode