New Free Aquarium Calculator Site - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New Free Aquarium Calculator Site

After the sad loss of Wet and his original site I decided to make a new free website dedicated purely to Aquarium Calculators.
Currently this is mostly for dosing methods like The Estimative Index, PMDD, PPS-Pro, PMDD and an All-In-One but I plan to expand this to do more in the future. Most of it you'll have seen before but I plan to add a some whizzy extras going forward.....
Let me know what you think or if you spot any [deliberate] mistakes etc

Website - AquariumCalculators.com

Thanks for looking!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 05:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Much needed - thank you for doing this

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 09:17 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Thank-you for your efforts!

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 11:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Very nicely done.

Thank You

Trapperwolves

75 Gallon--Rainbow Fish Tank/Amano Shrimp
29 Gallon--Celestial Pearl Danios/Yellow Shrimp
20 Gallon--Ember Tetras/Orange Shrimp
10 Gallon--Chili Rasboras/Cherry Red Shrimp
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 01:57 PM
Algae Grower

Thank you sir, great tools!

i am trying the EI by inputing 680liter, it tells me to dose:
10gr KNO3
3.9gr KH2PO4
25gr MgSO4

why so much on the MgSO4?
isn't both Mg and S are not macro fert?
Mg is kinda macro, but not S
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 02:07 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaliman View Post
Thank you sir, great tools!

i am trying the EI by inputing 680liter, it tells me to dose:
10gr KNO3
3.9gr KH2PO4
25gr MgSO4

why so much on the MgSO4?
isn't both Mg and S are not macro fert?
Mg is kinda macro, but not S
MgSO4's full makeup is MgSO4.7H2O. A lot of the weight is water. Mg & S are secondary Macros along with Ca. You don't need as much as Macros and not as little as Micros.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 03:25 PM
Algae Grower

Great site, thank you
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
MgSO4's full makeup is MgSO4.7H2O. A lot of the weight is water. Mg & S are secondary Macros along with Ca. You don't need as much as Macros and not as little as Micros.
This.

.....and to be totally honest, I'll be changing it in the next version......making it a more universal.
HTH
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 10:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Really needed after the loss of the other one.
I ran my tank through it quickly under solutions and it said you get 33 doses from your 500 ml bottle. My math says that's 15 ml per dose?
Just wondered if there was a reason it's not stated what the dose amount is on there.
I'll show a bit of my ignorance here and just ask this question anyway.
If I am dosing K2SO4 on a percent substitute for KNO3 will that SO4 allow me to not use the MGSO4 you add to your list of nutrients.
I have a kind of Rotala that has/had stunted/erratic growth patterns while I was dosing
a DIY GH booster that only had MGSO4/CaSO4 in 1/4 ratio. When I stopped dosing it the stunted growth stopped. Found references to this on line to confirm.
So I would not like to start using the MGSO4 again.
I do not add K2SO4 on top of the KNO3 as an optional extra like is sometimes listed in a fert dosing list.
I use half the weight of the KNO3 and half in K2SO4 to make up the total amount listed for the KNO3.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 10:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've been doing to many different things to my tank for any sort of decent confidence, but increasing Mg dosing seems to be helping with my twisted growth. I'm at nearly 1:1 ratio (Ca/Mg). I dose CaCl2 though rather then CaSO4, and I have a CaCO3 source in the tank to cover off the drip feed.

One of the other changes I made was full EI "K" dosing. I only need NO3 directly after water change, after which the bio-load takes care of it. I adjust P dosing to maintain 4ppm, and I've somewhat settled on 3ppm Ca/Mg dosing every other day.

I'm not entirely sure I understand your K dosing, but if you're only dosing to reach the same levels in KNO3, I would recommend to up to full EI.

Feel free to edit.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
I ran my tank through it quickly under solutions and it said you get 33 doses from your 500 ml bottle. My math says that's 15 ml per dose?
Just wondered if there was a reason it's not stated what the dose amount is on there.
Bottom of page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
If I am dosing K2SO4 on a percent substitute for KNO3 will that SO4 allow me to not use the MGSO4 you add to your list of nutrients.
I have a kind of Rotala that has/had stunted/erratic growth patterns while I was dosing
a DIY GH booster that only had MGSO4/CaSO4 in 1/4 ratio. When I stopped dosing it the stunted growth stopped. Found references to this on line to confirm.
So I would not like to start using the MGSO4 again.
I do not add K2SO4 on top of the KNO3 as an optional extra like is sometimes listed in a fert dosing list.
I use half the weight of the KNO3 and half in K2SO4 to make up the total amount listed for the KNO3.
The short answer is probably yes. You could play with the PPM calc to see of you can get the desired results (But maybe wait a couple of days as there's an error on K2SO4 that I need to fix!!!)
There's also another dosing recipe out there that may interest you called Spezial N which uses Calcium and Magnesium Nitrates as your Ca and Mg sources so less SO4.....which sounds like it would work well for you? I'll look at adding this to the to-do list also
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 11:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I''m under the impression that it is a plant farmer whom I got the info from which
warns that excess of certain nutrients causes deformed/stunted growth in Rotala
Magenta which I now find is written on the Macrandra instead of the Magenta on that site.
This is what is there..."An overabundance of macro nutrients restricts the availability of trace elements which may cause the crippling of the shoots, so do not overdo it on the fertilizers or trace elements."
I have a 10g tank which has very little faster growing plants in it. Just 5-7 stems of this Magenta which is just starting to grow well. So I have nothing to use up nitrates.
So I use K2SO4 for half of my KNO3 in my solution. = lower nitrates.
But since I have very little faster growing plants and only Excel I only use one dose of the regular EI level per week in macros and two in micros as I was told those don't last as long as macros do.
I used to add the DIY GH booster but no longer do that.
This is the solution list that I use. The 5/10 one. 5 ml per 10g tank.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...697&highlight=

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-21-2015, 12:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah, Fe especially will not last overly long.

I would try and maintain the regular EI levels throughout the week.
Even if nothing in there appears to be using the nitrates, I would still try and maintain around 10ppm. I wouldn't reduce nitrate dosing based on the little nitrate usage, but that's just me.

Just to be clear, I don't mean dose 10ppm every day, every other day, once a week or whatever, just try and maintain that level.

In my tanks, (extreme) nitrate deficiency shows as increased root growth (especially above the substrate).

Alas, in the great scheme of things, I have little knowledge in growing aquarium plants considering my short experience span, so take it with a grain of salt.

Feel free to edit.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 01:32 AM
Algae Grower

Thank you very much for this
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 01:53 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Nice site. Sleek and straight forward. Thanks!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode