Fluval CO2 drop checker - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
ppp
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fluval CO2 drop checker

Hi,

Having been keeping tropical fish for over 10 yrs. Just ventured into aquascaping. Current set up is:

45g display tank
20g sump
36" Finnex 24/7 LED
Pressurized CO2 with Cerges Reactor

I have had the system running for about 4 days now with 2bps. pH reads 7.5-7.8. Have moderately planted the tank. The drop checker is still blue. I have moved it around to see if water flow in the tank helps - no luck. Does this indicate alack of CO2, a defective drop checker or something else.

Any feed back will be much appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 02:36 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (131/100%)
2 bps most likely isnt enough for 65 gallons of water. A lot depends on diffusion methods and other things of course, but assuming you have excellent diffusion with the reactor, in my experience 1 bps per 10 gallons is closer to the ball park.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 02:51 AM Thread Starter
ppp
Algae Grower

I increased it to 8bps this morning. 6hrs later, still no change. Could it be the Cerges?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 03:03 AM
Planted Tanker

Unless you have big bubbles coming out of the cerges, or a leak in the CO2 system, most likely it's the drop checker. Are you using 4dkh solution and not tank or tap water?

Better than a drop checker is to take an actual PH test comparing de-gassed tank water (sat out for 24 hours or so) and actual tank water with the co2 has been on for a couple hours. There should be at least a full 1.0 drop if CO2 levels are adequate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 03:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

After 6 hours, I would be getting suspicious. Are the fish behaving any different? If the fish are OK, then give it overnight and check it again.

Also, do a pH test and see directly if the pH is dropping.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
ppp
Algae Grower

The Cerges reactor is made from the white plastic water filters so cannot see if there are any big bubbles in it. However, there are no bubbles in the tank. I am using the fluid that came with the drop checker - it does say not to add any water. The pH of the tank has remained consistent at about 7.5 over the last couple of days. Left the CO2 running all night at 8 bps - no change in the indicator or pH this morning. No fish in the tank yet - waiting for it to cycle. Apart from soapy water, is there any other way to check for CO2 leaks?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 03:01 PM
Planted Tanker

Re bubbles, I meant coming from the filter output into the tank.

Drop checkers require two different liquids. One is the PH reagent, 2-3 drops, and the other is water. 4dkh is the proper solution to use for the water. Tank or tap water will still show a response, but it wont necessarily be an accurate reading.

For leak checking I use the stuff kids blow bubbles with, comes with the plastic rig you wave around. Soapy water works fine too. The bubble stuff is just more convenient and easier to rely on ime.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 09:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
Re bubbles, I meant coming from the filter output into the tank.

Drop checkers require two different liquids. One is the PH reagent, 2-3 drops, and the other is water. 4dkh is the proper solution to use for the water. Tank or tap water will still show a response, but it wont necessarily be an accurate reading.

For leak checking I use the stuff kids blow bubbles with, comes with the plastic rig you wave around. Soapy water works fine too. The bubble stuff is just more convenient and easier to rely on ime.
I have that drop checker and the solution that comes with it is the reagent and 4dkh in one
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
ppp
Algae Grower

Ok.. still no change in the drop checker - still blue. ph still at 7.5. CO2 still running at 8 bps. Measured kH today - reading is 10. Not sure if this is the problem!! Any adivse???
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-19-2015, 03:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
So, you are either not getting CO2 into the tank effectively, or it is being off gassed as fast as you get it into the tank.

Do you run an airstone?
Do you have a lot of surface agitation?
Is the CO2 going into the sump or the main tank?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
ppp
Algae Grower

Do not run an airstone. No surface agitation. CO2 is going into Cerges reactor and then into main tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode