Anyway to increase phosphorous without fertz? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Anyway to increase phosphorous without fertz?

So I get all my nitrates from fish waste. Thats a check. Is there any pathway that brings phosphorous naturally? I am growing moss, it seems that nitrates and phosphorous are good for it. Can I just ignore potassium. I also started dosing with flourish comprehensive.

Side question, scouraged forums and it seems that excel kills moss. Can anyone confirm? Never really used CO2, but want to maximize plant growth. So I was thinking that seachem excel is a cheap way to test the effectiveness of Co2 on my tank before I invest in a pressurized Co2 system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 01:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I suggest you read the first post in https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=21944 to learn a lot more about the nutrient needs of plants. What lighting are you using?

Hoppy
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 02:11 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (131/100%)
re the second part: Excel can harm mosses if applied directly at full strength, ie squirted on with a syringe or spray bottle under water. But there shouldnt be a problem for most mosses just normal dosing the water column.

Excel is sorta like a middle ground between real CO2 and none at all. It helps plants, helps to deter algae, and will allow you to get by with a little more light. What it will not do however, is give you a feel for what actual CO2 does. Because it's not even close.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 02:14 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If you are not adding macro elements with fertilizers then your main source for all of them will be fish food (and, possibly, water changes - depends on your tap water content). It is difficult to tell will it be enough or not.

As for Excel, in my experience it doesn't harm moss if used in a standard dose (1 ml per 10 gallons). However, Excel is not a way to test the effectiveness of CO2 injection, it just doesn't cause the same effect. If you want to test CO2 injection then setup a simple DIY CO2 system with yeast and sugar, and test real CO2 injection.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 02:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Fish food supplies reasonable levels of N, P, and most traces. If the NO3 from fish food is in the right range (5-20ppm) then the P and most traces will be fine, too.

Fish food is low in K, Fe, Ca and C.
It is a bit low in Mg, but plants use less, so this is usually OK.

Water changes with GH>3 German degrees of hardness will supply the Ca and Mg (unless there is a skewed ratio of Ca:Mg in the water).

This leaves K, Fe and C to be supplied if needed. In a very low tech set up even these might be OK. The first deficiencies that show up in a low tech tank are usually these 3.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 02:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
+1 to what others have said.

Without CO2 you really don't have to worry too much about ferts IME. I rarely ever dose anything in my low tech tank. Also Excel is not even close to as effective as actual CO2 injection so you could expect far better results with a real system. Honestly I stopped using excel altogether - never really did much for me and my tank is fine without it. Either go CO2 or don't

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am planning to set up a large tank in my bedroom, my fear for a CO2 tank is in case anything goes wrong. I wouldn't ever wake up again. I just like to prepare for the worst, but expect the best. Any recommendations on smaller CO2 sets. Tank is 16 gallons. I did the yeast thing when I was a kid and it was so inconsistent.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 01:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

Maintaining a Planted Tank

Hello Em...

Go with undemanding plants like the following: Anubias nana, nangi and Java Fern, for the front half of the tank. Amazon Swords for the back and some Anacharis and Hornwort for a little surface coverage.

Use a couple of two fixture shop lights with 6500K, 32 watt, T8 lamps from the hardware store, $40.00 at the most.

No ferts needed, so nothing to mix and dose, so no chemicals that create havoc with the water chemistry, just stock the tank well with fish and feed a good diet. No tricky and pricey CO2 system needed.

So easy your middle school kid can do it.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode