Dry Ferts - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dry Ferts

It was recently recommended to me that my lack of plant growth may be due to a lack of ferts in the water. I was pointed to this dosing regiment however have some questions on what everything is.

20~40gal
50% H20 change-weekly
1/4 Tsp-KN03 3x a week
1/16 Tsp-KH2P04 3x aweek
1/2 Tsp-GH booster once a week
5ml or 1/16Tsp-Trace 3x a week
Optional
1-2ml-Fe/Iron 3x a week

What is the GH booster and what does it do?
What is the Trace and what does it do?

I currently use osmacote for my root tabs and since the recommendation I have been using API leaf zone until I can figure out what everything is. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 07:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin jan2 View Post
It was recently recommended to me that my lack of plant growth may be due to a lack of ferts in the water. I was pointed to this dosing regiment however have some questions on what everything is.

20~40gal
50% H20 change-weekly
1/4 Tsp-KN03 3x a week
1/16 Tsp-KH2P04 3x aweek
1/2 Tsp-GH booster once a week
5ml or 1/16Tsp-Trace 3x a week
Optional
1-2ml-Fe/Iron 3x a week

What is the GH booster and what does it do?
What is the Trace and what does it do?

I currently use osmacote for my root tabs and since the recommendation I have been using API leaf zone until I can figure out what everything is. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
The question of if you actually need gH booster can be answered by doing a gH test, if your gH is around 5 you probably don't need it. As for your question on trace elements (I use CSM+B)

Quote:

http://aqua4sale.blogspot.com/2013/11/plantex-csmb.html

Plantex CSM+B is a micro nutrient supplement for planted tanks.

CSM+B Ingredients
Total magnesium - water soluble chelated magnesium 1.50% Copper - chelated 0.10% Iron - chelated 7.00% Manganese - chelated 2.00% Molybdenum 0.06% Zinc - chelated 0.40% Boron 0.04% EDTA - minimum content 55%

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

How important are the trace elements and would the osmacote root tabs provide that?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 07:27 PM
Planted Member

GH Booster adds minerals back to the water that you normally lose through water changes...my GH is 3 and I still use seachem Equilibrium to raise it to 8 or so.

For traces, I use CSM+B , I dose Seachem Iron on days I dose micros and lately have been adding Magnesium sulphate, ( Epsom salt) in the same amount as CSM+B.

Great results as far as growth and color in all my plants.

I have a 17G tank, and I dose the dosage for 20-40G tank, I even dose extra PO4 because I was getting some GSA...

I think I'm about to increase to even bigger amount of ferts because plants grow like weeds..
So you really have to play with them and find the sweet spot.

And dont forget to add your ferts back after water changes otherwise you will run into algae problems.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sounds good I have to buy a GH & KH test kit off amazon petsmart only has the test strips that are like $30 for only a few vs $10 with shipping from amazon. When you do water changes if I dose what is recommended here would you do 50% once a week or 25% twice a week?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 10:33 PM
Planted Member

If I can, I do 50% two times a week. My tank is small and I can do them pretty fast...if I had a larger tank, that would be harder to do...
But at least 50% once a week is recommended to lower the TDS.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 02:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
GH Booster adds minerals back to the water that you normally lose through water changes
Plants and fish use Ca and Mg.
Water changes may add or subtract Ca and Mg, depending on the amount in the tap water. GH should be set to suit the fish.

Osmocote PLUS has trace minerals. You will have to read the label on the product you used to see if it has trace minerals.

GH booster is a source of Ca, Mg and K (Seachem Equilibrium or Barr's GH Booster. Other products may vary, but they should have 4 parts Ca: 1 part Mg, and not have sodium chloride). You may not need it if your tap water supplies these minerals.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 08:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Unless I had very soft water,(then I might need GH booster) I would focus on getting KNO3 Nitrogen,KH2PO4 Phosphates,and K2SO4 Potassium which are the macronutrient's.
I too sprinkled some osmocote slow release plant food on the bottom of my tank's before covering it with dirt/sand.
I still add CSM+B maybe once or twice a week.
My tanks are low tech NON CO2 so I do not add as much as the dosing for CO2 injected tanks that most of the formula's are geared to.
Maybe I dose 1/3 of Estimative index (EI).
I perform 50 % water changes once a week or two, and add more fertz at the 1/3 rate mentioned.
Would not need near the level's of EI for Non CO2 tanks with moderate lighting for the rate of uptake by the plant's is not as great although still important in my opinion.
I quit relying on fish food fish waste for nutrient's and adopted the afore mentioned dosing scheme and my plant's perform well under medium to low light.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 02:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
+1 to roadmaster you don't need to dose nearly that much unless:

You have a ton of fast-growing plants
You inject CO2
You have medium light or higher light levels

If you don't fit into those 3 then dose like 1/3 of EI. Just enough so that plants aren't limited by ferts. You always want light to be the limiting factor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode