how to aerat a tank without to much surface movement? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 03:09 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (6/100%)
how to aerat a tank without to much surface movement?

ok i may just be worried but when i add my pressurized co2 i will cup down on surface movement. now since this is where gas is exchanged, im not worried about loseing co2 but gaining O2. how do yall achieve this?

and just as another question how long would a 20lb cylinder last for 4 tanks a 55 29 40 and 35 ty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 03:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (164/100%)
Are you using a canister filter or HOB? I just have my canister filter outflows raised slightly to increase surface agitation without outgassing too much CO2 and I also use a Koralia powerhead. I also use a drop checker so that I can occasionally check CO2 concentration at-a-glance, which helps you to know if you need to increase surface agitation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 03:28 AM
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (176/100%)
Quote:
ok i may just be worried but when i add my pressurized co2 i will cup down on surface movement. now since this is where gas is exchanged, im not worried about loseing co2 but gaining O2. how do yall achieve this?
Oxygen is released by plants as a byproduct of photosynthesis (CO2 + H20 = glucose + O2). There is a lot more to this, but the general idea is that plants give off oxygen. I've never really worried about getting oxygen in the tank as long as the plants are growing.

Quote:
and just as another question how long would a 20lb cylinder last for 4 tanks a 55 29 40 and 35
I had a 5lb tank running the same type of setup and it would only last me 5 weeks. I have since bought a bigger CO2 tank, but using that ratio, a 20 lb tank would last approx 4-5 months depending on how much gas you use for each tank.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 03:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I think the biggest benefit of having good surface rippling is that it will more quickly reduce the amount of CO2 in the water at night. That lets you run more CO2 during the time the lights are one without gassing the fish at night. I use a Koralia powerhead pointed slightly upwards to get surface rippling.

Hoppy
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

ok thanks for the replys. im useing canister filters on 3 tanks the 4th is new and atm i do not have a canister for it so it will be hob for a while. i do not have the co2 hooked up yet im just kinda a worry wort and like to know things. i have the spray bars pointed slightly upward rt now. but i guess i will wait till i have everything hooked up. im ordering the reg and manifold from orlando this weekend. ok well ty guys
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 09:29 PM
amp
Planted Member

PTrader: (40/100%)
Put an air pump on a timer and have it run when the lights go out.

EHEIM PIMP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CASCADE PIMP

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amp View Post
Put an air pump on a timer and have it run when the lights go out.
hu never thought of that good idea
i will be hookin up the co2 this weekend and it will be on a timer same one as my lights. ty

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode