Help needed for diy ferts - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help needed for diy ferts

He guys i know certain chems to be added as ferts like.. CSM+B, potassium nitrate, potassium sulphate, epsom salt and glutaraldehyde 25%, but i dont know the proprortion and mixing etc. I have purchased those 500ml dosing bottles specially made for dosing. I want to know what to mix and howmuch to mix straight in a 500ml bottle. Would be very helpful. Also is any basic brand of these chemicals are ok since im from India? As they may have some impurities....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 06:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
look up EI :-)

Regards,
Aquaticz
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

El??

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 02:42 AM
Algae Grower

Ei (estimative index) dosing. tom barr has a heap of great articles about it. here is a great calculator http://yanc.rotalabutterfly.com

Check out my blog at eadie.net.au
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

It says dosing, i want to know how to make a supplement out of it...
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 05:25 AM
Planted Member

nanomania... try this there is everything you want to know:

https://sites.google.com/site/aquati...me/pps-classic
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I saw, its pretty confusing.. why u need to make 5 diff bottles od ferts???
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 10:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...697&highlight=
I think this is what you need. The bottles are 500ml that this is a list for.
The numbers in the front indicate how much to dose per dose. The last number is the
tank size which that much of each nutrient listed is for. The second one is a 5 ml dose and is for a 10g tank for example. A modified version of that one is what I use for my 10g tank.
In addition, I only use one dose per week of the macros and two of the micros.
I have no injected CO2. I only use Excel(glutaraldehyde) in place of the CO2.
This is separate and needs to be used daily. You should use caution/w this as the type you have may be more or less potent. So you should find out which it is before using it.
The plants don't grow as fast/w Excel as they do/w injected CO2 so you need less nutrients also. For this reason I only use one dose per week on the macros. But the micros are said to not last as long as the macros so I dose this twice a week.
These need to have a 50% water change/w them each week to keep it from building up in the tank.
To make these easier to mix I use distilled water but in a clean pot I heat it up till just below boiling and pour in half the bottle after I put in the nutrients.
I can then shake it up well until it is mostly mixed and does not fall to the bottom. Then I add the rest of the water to the full line.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...

Last edited by Raymond S.; 09-13-2015 at 10:16 AM. Reason: To make these...
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Is this correct?
Mix all of these chemicals in 500ml of RO water and Dose 1 ml for 40 liter water. K2SO4 – 29 grams KNO3 – 33 grams KH2PO4 – 3 grams MgSO4 – 20 grams CSM B - 40 grams in 500ml of RO water
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...697&highlight=
I think this is what you need. The bottles are 500ml that this is a list for.
The numbers in the front indicate how much to dose per dose. The last number is the
tank size which that much of each nutrient listed is for. The second one is a 5 ml dose and is for a 10g tank for example. A modified version of that one is what I use for my 10g tank.
In addition, I only use one dose per week of the macros and two of the micros.
I have no injected CO2. I only use Excel(glutaraldehyde) in place of the CO2.
This is separate and needs to be used daily. You should use caution/w this as the type you have may be more or less potent. So you should find out which it is before using it.
The plants don't grow as fast/w Excel as they do/w injected CO2 so you need less nutrients also. For this reason I only use one dose per week on the macros. But the micros are said to not last as long as the macros so I dose this twice a week.
These need to have a 50% water change/w them each week to keep it from building up in the tank.
To make these easier to mix I use distilled water but in a clean pot I heat it up till just below boiling and pour in half the bottle after I put in the nutrients.
I can then shake it up well until it is mostly mixed and does not fall to the bottom. Then I add the rest of the water to the full line.
Means u mix csmb too with all diifferent types of potassiums? So just make 1 single bottle for dosing?
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 09:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

No. Two bottles.
I just looked at it again and now I see why you are asking. I guess they just assumed
that everyone knows you don't use CSM+B and KH2PO4 on the same day. The KNO3/
the KH2PO4/ and the K2SO4(if you are going to use it) all go in one bottle.
The CSM+B and if you are going to add some the iron(Fe) go in the other bottle.
You dose the first bottle just after you do the water change. You dose the second bottle the next day. CSM+B already contains some iron. Some people add more iron to it.
But the KH2PO4 will effect the iron(don't remember exactly how) so you dose those on separate days. If you have injected CO2 then you will want to dose the full amount of this so just repeat the first dose the day after the second dose etc.
Mon./Wed./Fri. First bottle. Tue./Thur./Sat./the second bottle and then Sun or Mon the water change.
I have no injected CO2 so I just dose once on the macros(the first bottle) and two times on the micros because they don't last as long as the macros do.
40 liters is 10g(close) so use the second one on the list for a 40 liter tank.
5ml/10 gallons
KNO3 46.3 gm (approximately 9 teaspoons)
KH2PO4 7 gm (approximately 1 1/4 teaspoons)
Plantex CSM+B 29 gm (approximately 6 3/4 teaspoons)
Optional: K2SO4 19 gm (approximately 3 teaspoons)
And you dose 5 ml of that each time you dose.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
No. Two bottles.
I just looked at it again and now I see why you are asking. I guess they just assumed
that everyone knows you don't use CSM+B and KH2PO4 on the same day. The KNO3/
the KH2PO4/ and the K2SO4(if you are going to use it) all go in one bottle.
The CSM+B and if you are going to add some the iron(Fe) go in the other bottle.
You dose the first bottle just after you do the water change. You dose the second bottle the next day. CSM+B already contains some iron. Some people add more iron to it.
But the KH2PO4 will effect the iron(don't remember exactly how) so you dose those on separate days. If you have injected CO2 then you will want to dose the full amount of this so just repeat the first dose the day after the second dose etc.
Mon./Wed./Fri. First bottle. Tue./Thur./Sat./the second bottle and then Sun or Mon the water change.
I have no injected CO2 so I just dose once on the macros(the first bottle) and two times on the micros because they don't last as long as the macros do.
40 liters is 10g(close) so use the second one on the list for a 40 liter tank.
5ml/10 gallons
KNO3 46.3 gm (approximately 9 teaspoons)
KH2PO4 7 gm (approximately 1 1/4 teaspoons)
Plantex CSM+B 29 gm (approximately 6 3/4 teaspoons)
Optional: K2SO4 19 gm (approximately 3 teaspoons)
And you dose 5 ml of that each time you dose.
Dam this is confusing... lol.. so basically now i need to make 3 bottles, 1 for potassium supps, 2 for csmb and 3 for extra iron... mine is a 130g... so mon wed fri - potassium, tue thur sat - csmb and iron if needed on sunday? If i wana make iron supp, what shoud it be made out of and howmuch to add?
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 06:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

It's two bottles. Which size tank do you have ?
One has...
KNO3
KH2PO4
And if you choose to add K2SO4 it also goes in here. There are a few plants which use more Potassium than normal. That is a reason for adding the K2SO4.
The other reason is that if your stockinglevel is higher it sometimes creates more nitrates than you might want in there. The NO3 part of the KNO3 is nitrogen which
contributes to nitrates. The K2SO4 has none of this, but does have the Potassium
which the "K" stands for. So people who have tanks/w too much nitrates substitute
some K2SO4 in place of the KNO3. But if they just have some of those plants which use more Potassium than normal they just add some K2SO4 rather than substitute it.
Plants which use more Potassium include any Hydro plants such as Hygrophila difformis
which is Wisteria. If you are not sure of which you have you can list them.
Usually you don't need to add K2SO4.
There is already iron in the CSM+B and usually you don't need to add more of that either. I would just try it without adding anything else to it unless you notice a deficiency later.
So KNO3 and KH2PO4 in the first bottle and just the CSM+B in the second bottle.
If you let me know the size of the tank I can tell you how much of each to use.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
It's two bottles. Which size tank do you have ?
One has...
KNO3
KH2PO4
And if you choose to add K2SO4 it also goes in here. There are a few plants which use more Potassium than normal. That is a reason for adding the K2SO4.
The other reason is that if your stockinglevel is higher it sometimes creates more nitrates than you might want in there. The NO3 part of the KNO3 is nitrogen which
contributes to nitrates. The K2SO4 has none of this, but does have the Potassium
which the "K" stands for. So people who have tanks/w too much nitrates substitute
some K2SO4 in place of the KNO3. But if they just have some of those plants which use more Potassium than normal they just add some K2SO4 rather than substitute it.
Plants which use more Potassium include any Hydro plants such as Hygrophila difformis
which is Wisteria. If you are not sure of which you have you can list them.
Usually you don't need to add K2SO4.
There is already iron in the CSM+B and usually you don't need to add more of that either. I would just try it without adding anything else to it unless you notice a deficiency later.
So KNO3 and KH2PO4 in the first bottle and just the CSM+B in the second bottle.
If you let me know the size of the tank I can tell you how much of each to use.
I have a 130g, 12g and 15g... well i like keeping a bit high bioload of fish and feed them a bit extra smtimes. Also i love red plants, so i guess they require high iron. Iv seen sm ppl use potassium chloride, is it good? And what about mag (epsom salt)? Also i always like the dirt substrate method, since iv got good results and its cheaper too.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 06:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=926145
In the dry fertilizer section of this is Fe(iron) that is commonly added to the CSM+B.
If you have Amazon where you are you can get it there. Likely e-bay also.
Usually people who add this use half as much as the CSM+B and add it to the bottle
which the CSM+B is in.
As much difference in size as there is between those tanks I would make two sets of bottles. One according to the 20g list and one according to the 125g list.
You can dose the two small tanks from the set made for the 20g tank. Just use 3 ml
on the 12g tank and maybe 4ml on the 15g tank.
I don't know anything about Potassium Chloride. You will see Epsom salt listed in
the GH booster on that link. Used when the GH of the water you use is too low.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode