Water softeners, OK or bad? Contradictory search results - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Water softeners, OK or bad? Contradictory search results

Hi guys, I've tried searching this forum to find out what to do about my situation, but there seems to be different answers in different posts. I have a water softener. Usually I use water from an outside spigot that doesn't go through the WS. But when winter hits I wont be able to do this.

In an effort to get hard facts instead of "I'm using one and nothing has ever died" answers, can someone explain if it is bad, why? And what water parameters should I be testing to find out HOW bad mine might be and determine whether or not it would be an issue for me. If it matters, I've got a fairly lush planted 75gal with low to medium fish load, medium lighting, EI dosing dry ferts with some osmocote root tabs in gravel/sand mix substrate and no CO2.

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 04:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Does washing machine use the softened water?(maybe can disconnect and get water here?)
Is said that many of the softener's remove mineral's calcium/magnesium which fish and plant's need for structural development ,and replace these mineral's with sodium salt's which may not be well received by fishes and or plant's over the long haul.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 07:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Is the spigot outside really the only source not going through the water softener?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 07:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
The softener is designed to remove the hard water minerals. This is most often calcium and magnesium. In many places that use softeners, it is the calcium that they want removed. Then there is a certain small amount of sodium left in the water. The softener does go through a full of the resin bed which does flush most of the sodium down the drain. But even when rinsed in a dishwasher, there is a small amount of things like salt left on the dishes and it is normal for some to be left in the resin of the softener.
As you've found many of the planned softeners are routed to all the inside connections but not to the outside. This is an effort to save salt in softening water used for the yard where hard water does no harm.
Several ways to deal with the situation. If it bothers your fish or plants, use untreated water. This is what I do, just because I like life easy.
To make it easy, I cut the line that goes into the softener and added a tee to go to my fish room. Not hard at all with some basic cutting of pipes IF the house layout is set up to be easy.
What type foundation and plumbing layout do you have? An open basement with plumbing exposed across the basement ceiling can make it real easy---or real hard!! Some looking may help you decide.

But some hard water is too hard for the fish/plants that people want so they may choose to use the softened water and add back the calcium and magnesium removed by the softener. More complex water changes but less upfront plumbing.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 07:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The outside faucets do not go through the softener because the salty water is not good for plants. In my house the kitchen cold water and refrigerator line also do not go through the softener so that people on low sodium diets have a source of drinking and cooking water that is sodium free. My softener also has a bypass valve that I can use and after running the water for a minute all the softened water is flushed from the line.

Yours should also have a bypass valve. It has to be bypassed when it recharges.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 04:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Plants and fish need the calcium and magnesium that are removed by a sodium exchange water softener.
Many fish want less calcium and magnesium than might be in the unsoftened tap water, you would have to do some research:
What is the GH of the tap water?
What is the GH of the softened water?
What is the optimum GH for the fish?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 04:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Plants and fish need the calcium and magnesium that are removed by a sodium exchange water softener.
Many fish want less calcium and magnesium than might be in the unsoftened tap water, you would have to do some research:
What is the GH of the tap water?
What is the GH of the softened water?
What is the optimum GH for the fish?
I would look more for the acceptable range of GH for the fish, not the optimum. Fish are pretty adaptable, so there isn't much need for an optimum GH. I don't know where you can get that information, though.

Hoppy
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 04:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/
has a lot of info, including the range of hardness for most species.

www.fishbase.org
also has a lot of info, especially about the original water the fish come from.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode