EI dosing for low-mid light, Excel tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
EI dosing for low-mid light, Excel tank

Hi all,

I've look through some EI threads and seen many that suggesting dosing for high-light, CO2 tanks. I'm doing a decidedly low to mid light tank (38-gallon) with just Excel for CO2 (5mL/10 gallons daily). I haven't seen a definitive answer for how to dose EI on such a tank; mostly it looks like people are taking the 3x a week doses and just doing one or two of them. Is that the way to go, or is there a better recommendation out there? FWIW, my tank is somewhat heavily (though newly) planted, and I am also doing Osmocote+ gelcap root tabs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 02:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I tend to use half doses of ei formulas twice a week in low tech tanks. I never use excel in these tanks. I am just too cheap! What I find is that all this is very dependent on the specific plant. Some of them will do well, some will just fade away.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 05:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have a similar tank... 36 gallons, a 35-ish par, CO2 booster dosed at 1.5x label rates..

I use the EI low light weekly dosing profile, which is effectively half of EI levels dosed once a week. I use it with a few mods that are specific to my tank:

1) I cut back the NO3 and PO4 dosing, as the tank is overstocked with livebearers. I still end up at 20-30ppm NO3 (calibrated test) and 1ppm PO4 (not calibrated, but roughly follows dosage-change expectations).

2) I add an extra dose of iron half-way into the week, as I don't find that iron holds up all week.

3) I dose a lot of equilibrium during water changes (mollies need harder water than I have), and I account for its potassium contributions in my overall dosing.

This seems to work pretty well for me.

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 06:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I use what would be a regular ei dose but only once a week on two 20 longs. Both low light.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 06:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I use a modified version of this in the 10g tank category.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...697&highlight=
I invert the amounts for KNO3 and K2SO4 because of nitrates.
So 45gm of K2SO4 and 20gm of KNO3 plus the KH2PO4
Those are the macros and for the micros...
CSM+B 29gm + 15gm Fe 10%
I dose the macros once a week right after the water change and the Micros on the
next day, then wait two days and dose Micros again on the fourth day after the water change.
Like the link says this is added to 500ml distilled water for each of micros/macros
and dose @ 5 ml per. I add 10ml Excel to the micros to retard mold.
I dose Excel each day @ 2x the recommended amount. 2ml for the 10g tank.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

When calculating the EI dose for my size tank, do I subtract out gallons displaced by substrate and hardscape? I have a 38-gallon tank, but with 4 inches of substrate, driftwood, and plants, it may be closer to 30 gallons of water.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinmd View Post
I have a similar tank... 36 gallons, a 35-ish par, CO2 booster dosed at 1.5x label rates..

I use the EI low light weekly dosing profile, which is effectively half of EI levels dosed once a week.
Thanks Matt. Zorfox's post that everyone refers to says to add the recommended dose 3x a week. When you say "effectively half of EI levels," do you mean 1/2 of a single dose, or 1/2 of the amount that would be dosed in a full week (i.e., 3x the single dose)? (If that makes any sense.)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 07:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by end3r.P View Post
Thanks Matt. Zorfox's post that everyone refers to says to add the recommended dose 3x a week. When you say "effectively half of EI levels," do you mean 1/2 of a single dose, or 1/2 of the amount that would be dosed in a full week (i.e., 3x the single dose)? (If that makes any sense.)
It's half the full weekly amount added by EI... ie: 1.5x a normal dose.

So, for a 50 gallon:

With EI: you'd add 2 grams of KNO3 per dose, 3 times a week for a total of 6 grams.

EI low light has you add 3 grams once a week.

YANC supports EI low-light..
http://yanc.rotalabutterfly.com/

That said, looking at things, it's not entirely half:

CSM+B is 1g/dose under EI, total 3g
EI low light comes out to 579mg, once a week, which is like 1/5th...

Although it claims it is targeting 0.5ppm per dose on the EI, and 0.2ppm/dose on EI low-light... which would be 1/7.5...

something is a bit wrong with the numbers on YANC there.

edit: the main page calculator comes up with 1.45g/dose for EI, and 580 for the low-light which is 1/7.5... So it looks like the main page calculator is doing it right, YANC has a bug there..

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2015, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
It's half the full weekly amount added by EI... ie: 1.5x a normal dose.

So, for a 50 gallon:

With EI: you'd add 2 grams of KNO3 per dose, 3 times a week for a total of 6 grams.

EI low light has you add 3 grams once a week.

YANC supports EI low-light..
http://yanc.rotalabutterfly.com/

That said, looking at things, it's not entirely half:

CSM+B is 1g/dose under EI, total 3g
EI low light comes out to 579mg, once a week, which is like 1/5th...

Although it claims it is targeting 0.5ppm per dose on the EI, and 0.2ppm/dose on EI low-light... which would be 1/7.5...

something is a bit wrong with the numbers on YANC there.
That clears it up. Good stuff, thanks. I'll double check any numbers I get from YANC.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2015, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
edit: the main page calculator comes up with 1.45g/dose for EI, and 580 for the low-light which is 1/7.5... So it looks like the main page calculator is doing it right, YANC has a bug there..
Great, thanks. I'll use that calculator.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode