dissolving K2SO4 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
dissolving K2SO4

Hi,
sinc aquasoil is still leeching nitrogen strong im temporarily trying to use K2SO4 insted of KNO3 but im having hard time dissolving it.

in 250ml water i put 20mg of K2SO4 and the next morning it still hasnt dissolved. is this whats expected?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 07:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I use hot water to mix mine in. I use distilled, but heat it in a pot and fill the 500ml
bottle just a bit more than half way and then add the different powders and shake it up a bit and then fill the rest of the way. Next day there is some undesolved in the bottom, but very little. I'd need to look it up how much I add but it's over 50 grams total of KNO3/K2SO4/KH2PO4. I use more of the K2SO4 than the KNO3 to keep down the nitrates.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 02:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
I'm in the same boat. My nitrates are always present now so I am just starting to use K2SO4 and micros only.

I just put the dose for the day in a tupperware container, fill with tank water, and shake for a minute. Almost always it dissolves at least 90%. Then just dump right in the tank.
If you're making a solution you could just shake up the dry ferts real good before you add them to your final solution.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 02:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

I've had trouble dissolving the ferts in the amount of water that is usually suggested so I double the amount of water. (1/2 strength solution) and double the dosage of solution into the tank. Much easier to dissolve if there's twice as much water.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 03:04 PM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
I'm wondering why you guys bother dissolving it and just don't dump it in. I've always done that and never had a problem.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 04:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I used to but...
For a larger tank measuring spoons may be close enough to the amount of any nutrient
that you may be dosing. However on tanks 20G or less there is actually a lot of difference between a level 1/16 tsp and one that is rounded a bit.
So making a solution gives a more accurate measurement of the fert per dose as well as
giving you one time to make up a batch that last for months.
I'll be the first to admit that with a concentrated solution getting the liquid as close to
that dosing line as possible is important because that concentrated solution can be a
lot different depending on if you are on the line or 1/8 inch away from it.
But that is why I use a measuring Pipette to take out the extra and get it down to the line. It was suggested to me by more than one member on here that dosing from a
solution is much more consistent that measuring spoons. But like I said before it
mainly pertains to smaller tanks.
To me the best part, if you do the math, is that I dose 5ml out of a 500ml bottle, but
only once a week. So the next time I'll need to break out the scale to make more of
that solution will be July of 2017. But I'll probably throw away what is left in July of 2016 and make a new batch. That is if something doesn't cause me to want to change
the amount of any nutrient before then.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 04:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrill View Post
I'm wondering why you guys bother dissolving it and just don't dump it in. I've always done that and never had a problem.
+1 that.
That is what I do,
For my tanks that have planters above, I throw to stuff in the planter. It will dissolve and end up in the tank.

Bump: FWIW, K2SO4 water solubility @25 deg C is 120g/liters... Do the math, 20mg should dissolve in 250 ml without problems.

|
|
|
|
|
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 07:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariostg View Post
Bump: FWIW, K2SO4 water solubility @25 deg C is 120g/liters... Do the math, 20mg should dissolve in 250 ml without problems.
Should, being the operative word.

I just give my solution a big shake before dosing. I normally use 10ml=1ppm, but might switch to 20ml=1ppm just to try and defeat the poor solubility.

Feel free to edit.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 08:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
You can put it in your sump sock if you have one.

The fastest way to success is patience.

Best,

Joe
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 04:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I simple make a weaker solution, then dose more.
With the levels of KNO3, KH2PO4 and K2SO4 that I use, I dose at 1 ml per 3 gallons of tank volume.
I have tried making a stronger solution, but I have reached the maximum levels that will stay in solution.
I shake the bottle each time I dose to make sure it is all fully dissolved.

I am measuring my ferts with kitchen measuring spoons, properly settled and leveled off. Sure, this is not as accurate as a scale. But the rest of my dosing program is not any more accurate, so I figure why be super accurate with one part, then less perfect on the rest.
Most of my tanks are maintaining the levels I want, and this is the real goal.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrill View Post
Because using bottle with pump cap is way easier than messing with spoons and powders every morning
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-06-2015, 09:03 PM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzega View Post
Because using bottle with pump cap is way easier than messing with spoons and powders every morning
Gottcha. I got around that by using tiny bottles that I measure out a daily dose. Each bottle is marked with day of week and I just dump it in.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode