Safe Powder conditioner question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Safe Powder conditioner question

So I did a water change last night and I am about finished with my liquid conditioner. I have a new bottle of Safe Powder Conditioner that I will be starting on when I do my next water change. How do I transition from liquid to powder that will have low impact on my fish? When I first use the Safe do I need to apply what I need for the whole 55 gal or just for the amount of water that I take out? Thank you for your help in advance.

This must be what addiction feels like <3
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 02:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

use it the same way you use a liquid conditioner, apply it to the water being added to the tank. Either dissolve it into the water you are adding before you put it in or you can make up a liquid of it and dose accordingly.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 02:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

Using Seachem's "Safe"

Hello sind...

This water treatment isn't toxic, so don't worry about putting too much into the tank. You just need to treat the new water. I use this product and use a one-eighth teaspoon measuring spoon to measure out the powder. I use a level one-eighth teaspoonful for every 5 gallons of new tap water.

I'm still using the old school bucket method to do my water changes. If you use a syphon attached to your sink faucet, dissolve the right amount of powder in a pitcher of tap water and pour it into the tank as the tank fills from the faucet.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 02:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Safe is exactly the same product as Prime, just in dry form. In general you use it exactly the same way as Prime, only adjusting for the higher concentration of the product.

When doing water changes, if you do tap-to-tank, you should already be dosing enough Prime for the whole tank, and should do the same for Safe. If you are pre-mixing your Prime with the new water outside the tank, dose enough just for that new water, and Safe works the same.

This should be on the label directions for both products.

If in doubt, see the directions on their website:
http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...ges/Prime.html

"Use 1 capful (5 mL) for each 200 L (50 gallons*) of new water. This removes approximately 1 mg/L ammonia, 4 mg/L chloramine, or 5 mg/L chlorine. For smaller doses, please note each cap thread is approx. 1 mL. May be added to aquarium directly, but better if added to new water first. If adding directly to aquarium, base dose on aquarium volume."

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Safe.html

"Use 1.25 g (1/4 tsp.) for every 1,250 L (300 gallons) as needed to reduce chlorine and chloramine or use 1.25 g (1/4 tsp.) for every 300 L (75 gallons) for ammonia.

May be added to aquarium directly, but better if added to new water first. If adding directly to aquarium, base dose on aquarium volume."

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 02:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
It should be noted that if you are treating the water in the tank, it is recommended to treat for the full volume of the tank rather than the volume of water changed. It has to do with the way the chemicals diffuse in the water.
As a simple way to think of it?
If you want to find your girl at a party of ten, you can do it quickly. But if you want to find her at a party of 100, you need more friends to find her in time. The chemical parts looking for the chlorine act much the same way.
If treating in a gallon bucket, treat for one gallon but if treating in a 100 gallon tank, treat for 100 gallon.

Sorry, Matt. Slow poster.

Last edited by PlantedRich; 09-02-2015 at 02:51 PM. Reason: add

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode