Iron? Do I need? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Iron? Do I need?

How do you know if you need to add Iron?

I dose PPS liquid from my dry EI.

I see a lot on iron but how do you determine if it's necessary?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 06:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
CSM+B has iron in it, and if you're dosing it, that should be "enough" for most purposes.

Some folks have hard, alkaline water that breaks down the EDTA form of iron in CSM+B too quickly, thus they need to add extra iron, usually in DTPA form, to compensate for that. This is more of a problem with weekly dosing regimes than daily ones like pps-pro. I fall in this category, dosing CSM+B under EI low-light, but then add a DTPA iron dose later in the week.

A few folks tweak their iron levels higher than the regimes call for in an attempt to encourage better red coloration in plants.

You'll know you need it if you are seeing chlorosis in your plants (turning yellow), or if you're really blasting the light/co2 levels and your red plants still don't look very red.

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

ok, probably good then. Thanks for explaining it. My water is RO so not too hard.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 06:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
Also, if you have very high light and co2 then sometimes you may need more. Other than that, there is normally enough already in CSM+B.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 06:57 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Iron is hardly ever a problem, contrary to what sales people want to make you believe. Years ago aquarists used to recommend that you toss a rusty nail into your planted tank and that would take care of your iron needs.

If there is really an iron shortage the plants will tell you! Young leaves will be yellow with green veins.

Of course, yellow leaves could also be due to other shortages, such as nitrogen, or potassium. But a deficiency of magnesium or other trace elements could also be the cause of yellow leaves (although rarely).
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 07:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4search View Post
Years ago aquarists used to recommend that you toss a rusty nail into your planted tank and that would take care of your iron needs.
Plants like scotch??

, low-tech.
, AC20, low tech
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 07:14 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinmd View Post
Plants like scotch??
yeahhh, plants particularly like scotch whiskey since it increases their metabolism.

Last edited by g4search; 09-02-2015 at 04:29 PM. Reason: spelling was incorrect
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I ordered ludwigia ovalis - says it needs iron.

I guess I'll see how it does and if it loses color, I'll order some iron.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 06:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/80%)
I use it even though I probably don't need to. It makes my AR mini, Rotala Walichi, and AR varieated a much darker shade of red. I also see better appearance of pink and red veins in my Ludwigia when I use it.

-Mikey G
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeygmzmg View Post
I use it even though I probably don't need to. It makes my AR mini, Rotala Walichi, and AR varieated a much darker shade of red. I also see better appearance of pink and red veins in my Ludwigia when I use it.
I tried pm'ing you but your mailbox is full. How often do you dose? thanks!

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 04:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
I personally dose 2:1 CSM+B:Iron

No harm really in having excess (from what I have seen) and I am one of those people with a solid amount of light and difficulty getting plants to change more red.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 03:55 AM
Banned

I was dosing Rexolin APN trace mix, but that has a higher percentage of copper then I'm comfortable with (when targeting high Fe).

I then started also dosing DTPA Fe. So around 0.2ppm Fe with APN, and 0.5ppm Fe with the DTPA chelated Fe.

Since EDTA chelated Fe is apparently easier for plants to uptake, I've just started dosing 0.5ppm of this in combination with the above.

The other day I accidentally dosed micros on consecutive days. 0.3ppm FE (APN) + 0.9ppm DTPA Fe on the first day, then 0.2ppm Fe (APN) + 0.9ppm EDTA Fe on the second day. Later that night on the second day, the new growth was greener then I've ever seen. It was confirmed by the missus when she commented on the color.

I've never been able to make any sort of reddish plant do well in my tank previously, so I'm pretty keen now to try again. I dose around 1ppm of PO4 since java ferns/moss love the stuff, but otherwise dosing is pretty close to EI.

Feel free to edit.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

so it can be dosed daily?

I do ferts daily (PPS). I dose micros/macros at the same time. I was thinking I'd dose the iron once a week or so but maybe that's not enough. I have gotten plants that should be pretty colors so I want to do this right. Various ludwigias and golden nesaea which is much prettier than I thought it might be.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 04:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Are you using csm+b as your micro? You're already doing iron daily. If you find you need more, I'd dose it with the micros. Once you have a ratio dialed in, if you are using liquid mixes I'd just add the csm+b and Fe to the same bottle.

, low-tech.
, AC20, low tech
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I got the flourish so I'd like to go ahead and use it.

I have the csm+b in one bottle and macros in another.

Is too much iron going to hurt anything?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode