How much Equilibrium? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How much Equilibrium?

Im going to try the non CO2 way as described on the barrreport forum.

Click for more info: http://www.barrreport.com/forum/barr...on-co2-methods

In short: In the described method it is suggested that you can use Seachem Equilibrium instead of a regular trace element mix for the micros.

I have absolutely no idea how much equilibrium to add though.
Its only a 6.6 gallon tank (25liter) so I'm guessing very little.

I have searched for teaspoon measuring sets but i cant find them (we dont really use them in Holland)
I do however have a very precise scale at hand.

Anybody else out there using Equilibrium for this purpose?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 09:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
for low-tech, once (twise) a week literally a little, like 0.5-1ml should be enough. Also, if you do regular water changes and/or decent fish load, then you may have enough of trace and macro elements. Supplement a little bit of Glut (Seachem Flourish Excel or Diluted Metricide) and you can go higher.

Tom Barr suggest 1/4 tsp per 20 gl. 1tsp is about 5ml, so for your tank of 6.6 gl, you need to add 0.4125 ml of SeaChem Equilibrium.

46 Bowfront:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CAPS - Chicago Aquatic Plant Society
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphabeta View Post
for low-tech, once (twise) a week literally a little, like 0.5-1ml should be enough. Also, if you do regular water changes and/or decent fish load, then you may have enough of trace and macro elements. Supplement a little bit of Glut (Seachem Flourish Excel or Diluted Metricide) and you can go higher.

Tom Barr suggest 1/4 tsp per 20 gl. 1tsp is about 5ml, so for your tank of 6.6 gl, you need to add 0.4125 ml of SeaChem Equilibrium.
Thanks for the detailed answer! But Equilibrium is a powder like substance, I don't know how to convert ml to it.

Without measuring the stuff it would be impossible to say how much 1 tsp weights, so we can't go from there I guess.

Edit: I'm not going to add a source of liquid carbon and I plan on keeping water changes to a minimum to prevent large CO2 fluctuations. Therefore the dose might even need to be smaller then usual to prevent buildup. In the end it al depends on how well the plants are growing of course but i need to have a starting point.

Last edited by Jonas; 08-29-2015 at 11:19 PM.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hold on..I do know how much one tablespoon of Equilibrium weights. 16 grams, it says so on the label.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 12:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

Wow, no teaspoon measuring sets? Weird.
We have really inexpensive ones at the dollar store here, I'd be happy to mail you two or three sets no problem. Postage to you in an envelope should not be expensive either.

That is, if you get tired of the scale after a while.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
Wow, no teaspoon measuring sets? Weird.
We have really inexpensive ones at the dollar store here, I'd be happy to mail you two or three sets no problem. Postage to you in an envelope should not be expensive either.

That is, if you get tired of the scale after a while.
Thats really nice of you! May take you up on that offer. But I would need something like a 1/32 for dosing a 5 gallon. Does that even exist!?

Even then its not going to be as precise as using a scale, problem is:
I still don't know how much to add!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphabeta View Post

You are much better at this stuff then i am. Any chance you know how to calculate the dose for a 6.6g in grams/milligrams?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 10:39 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
Hold on..I do know how much one tablespoon of Equilibrium weights. 16 grams, it says so on the label.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
You are much better at this stuff then i am. Any chance you know how to calculate the dose for a 6.6g in grams/milligrams?
1 tablespoon (about 15 mL) is 16 grams.

1/4 teaspoon (about 1.25 mL) for 20 gallons.

Thus, about 0.4125 mL for 6.6 gallons.

As we know 15 mL is 16 grams, you can calculate that 0.44 grams will be required.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
1 tablespoon (about 15 mL) is 16 grams.

1/4 teaspoon (about 1.25 mL) for 20 gallons.

Thus, about 0.4125 mL for 6.6 gallons.

As we know 15 mL is 16 grams, you can calculate that 0.44 grams will be required.
Thank you so much, never would have figured that out myself.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 06:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

What I do is when I have to add small amounts of salt/powder to water, I make a stock solution.

20 gallons (75 litres) requires 1.25 ml powder
Therefore 1 ml powder treats 60 L
15 ml= 16 gms==> 960 L
If you take 16 gms and dissolve it in 1000ml of water, you can use this solution at pretty much 1:1 ratio, ie one ml of stock will treat one ml of tank water.

6.6 gallons = 25 litres, therefore 25 ml of stock solution. Yikes, that still requires small volume measurement.

How about take 1.6 gms and dissolve it in 1000 ml
Then you will need 250 ml of stock solution per tank full of water. Is this do-able?

What is the accuracy of your scale? I am hoping it can measure down to 0.1 gm maybe +/- 0.01gm?

Daisy Mae V
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
What I do is when I have to add small amounts of salt/powder to water, I make a stock solution.

20 gallons (75 litres) requires 1.25 ml powder
Therefore 1 ml powder treats 60 L
15 ml= 16 gms==> 960 L
If you take 16 gms and dissolve it in 1000ml of water, you can use this solution at pretty much 1:1 ratio, ie one ml of stock will treat one ml of tank water.

6.6 gallons = 25 litres, therefore 25 ml of stock solution. Yikes, that still requires small volume measurement.

How about take 1.6 gms and dissolve it in 1000 ml
Then you will need 250 ml of stock solution per tank full of water. Is this do-able?

What is the accuracy of your scale? I am hoping it can measure down to 0.1 gm maybe +/- 0.01gm?
I make stock solutions for NO3 and PO4, had not thought about making this into a stock solution.

Its certainly doable to do it like that but when i make solutions i always try to make them strong enough so that i can dose about 5 to 10 ml max. I find that easier as i always use a syringe to extract the solution from the bottle and then squirt it into the tank.

My scales are super accurate, 0.01 gm

One thing to remember.. when making strong stock solutions you must think about maximum solubility which, except for its existence, i know nothing about either.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 09:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

Nice scale!

Maximum solubility, yes, this is definitely a factor. I make stock soln for my salty shrimp mineral, and I tailor it so I can use 50 ml per liter of tank water. Otherwise there's too much undissolved salts. As it is, I have to shake the 2L stock bottle very well each time.

Sounds like you have the makings of a plan...

Daisy Mae V

Last edited by Daisy Mae; 08-30-2015 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Typo
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Nice scale!

Maximum solubility, yes, this is definitely a factor. I make stock soln for my salty shrimp mineral, and I tailor it so I can use 50 ml per liter of tank water. Otherwise there's too much undissolved salts. As it is, I have to shake the 2L stock bottle very well each time.

Sounds like you have the makings of a plan...
Yes i do now, thanks to the help i got here. Thank you all people! i can't wait to see how it progresses.

What kind of shrimp do you keep?

Last edited by Jonas; 08-31-2015 at 12:07 AM.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 12:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

Right now I have RCS and they're breeding I have had them for about six weeks, the babies are maybe 5mm. Tank is at 23C, TDS 160, GH 80 ppm, KH 20 ppm. pH is 6.6-6.8 (hard to distinguish).

Mama shrimp #1 popped the first babies at 3.5 weeks-ish, so I was surprised since I was expecting them no earlier than 4 weeks.

I ordered some snowball for another tank (Mini-M); OEBT plus yellow neos for a different tank (30cm cube). The params are just at the lower limits of what the breeder has listed on the site.

Daisy Mae V
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 04:44 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
well, to answer all the conversion question, from powder to tsp to TBS or whatever, use this fetilator calculator
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...fertilator.php
On top of the calculator choose from drop down menu "conversion .... "
Yep, 15ml = 1 table spoon = 16 gr of equilibrium.
nothing more than arithmetic, but let me know if i can help.

indeed, the equilibrium is powder, frourish is liquid - sorry for confusion, but as you can see ml and gr for this powder are essentially the same (like water).

46 Bowfront:

CAPS - Chicago Aquatic Plant Society

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode