fert solutions for larger tanks - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
fert solutions for larger tanks

I've been messing around with fert solutions for awhile, mixing my own.

The largest issue I've found is that some calculations require many hundred mL of dosing solution to be used, which isn't very practical.

On top of that, others calculate way more grams of dry ferts to be mixed into the liquid they're no longer able to dissolve.

Am I doing this wrong, or are others having the same issues? I'm typically mixing a 1000ml solution. It is beginning to look like direct dosing of dry fertilizers into larger tanks is going to work better than mixing solutions... or perhaps I need to consider larger containers for the solution, or mixing multiple bottles of the same solution for my pumps to dose from.

thoughts, experiences?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 04:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi, why not dose dry ferts directly in the tank, a lot of aquario do this with the EI Method.

Michel.

Plants and algae grower.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheljq View Post
Hi, why not dose dry ferts directly in the tank, a lot of aquario do this with the EI Method.

Michel.
I'd rather not do that as I am lazy. I programmed an aquarium controller that auto doses any amount of fert solution I want.

I'm thinking of tossing my macros into a 1g container and dosing from that.

Just wondering what other folks with larger tanks are doing. I may have to see about an auto doser for dry ferts...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 10:28 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'm in the same boat as you. I have two BRS dosers and I have a 2x2L reservoir for 2-part from my reefing days. I mix about 1L of CSM+B and 1.5L of macros which last me about 2-3 weeks each. I put 5-10mL of excel in each one to prevent mold growth.

If I want to dose according to the guide, I want 1.5tsp KNO3 and 0.5tsp of KH2PO4 3x per week, so 4.5tsp and 1.5tsp per week. I mix 1Tbsp to 240ml water (1tsp to 80mL since 1Tbsp = 3tsp), so I mix 4.5Tbsp KNO3 and 1.5Tbsp to 1440mL (6Tbsp X 240mL) to create my macro dosing solution. (*Using this method, I can't change my ratios until I make a new batch.*) I need to dose 6tsp weekly which is 480mL of my solution every week. I dose daily at about 70mL per day. (About 62 minutes on my BRS 1.1mL/min dosers).

I also found that it was difficult to mix 1Tbsp of CSM+B into 240mL, so I started using 480mL and simply doubled the time my micro doser runs to add the same dissolved amount.

I refuse to have to remember to dry dose!!

Last edited by S4UCE; 08-27-2015 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Added dosing figures
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 10:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

On my 180 I use an ATO pump to dose out of a container of dry plus water mix. I go through about 2 liter per week of my own mix. Mix is CSM+B, K, Mg. My giant pleco takes care of the N.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 02:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
What size tanks are you guys dosing. I can help with running numbers to see if you can do something different. Also let me know the recipes you are currently using.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I'm just looking to dose, for my macros, KNO3 and KH2PO4 into a roughly 150-160g system (125g tank and 40g sump)

some things are suggesting MgSO4 as well, which I wouldn't have an issue with using... but will need a second macro solution just for that since it requires so much if being dosed.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 02:57 PM
Planted Member

Can't you just make it more concentrated and lower the time on the dosers? Or am I missing something (like it won't dissolve)?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2015 View Post
Can't you just make it more concentrated and lower the time on the dosers? Or am I missing something (like it won't dissolve)?
I don't have access to my ferts recipe... but I believe it's something like:

6 tsp KNO3
6.5 tsp KH2PO5
22 tsp MgSO4

this into ~1000ml of liquid. this does not dissolve. However, I can get it fairly close using hot water. I dose about 50-100ml/day of this solution depending on how I'm feeling about plant growth.

other calculators recommend a much lower amount of dry ferts, but 300+ ml per does. Which takes me through a week... which just makes mixing ferts annoying. I'd take less time to toss dry ferts into the tank each morning.

my goal is to mix an adequate supply of solution up and be able to fertilize the tank for 2 weeks minimum.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 12:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I wouldnt try adding mgso4 into the solution, just dose a gh booster after water changes.

For the macro solution add 185g kno3 and 28g of kh2po4 into 1000ml container, fill with ro water. Dose 40ml of this solution 3x per week to get full EI levels. I know this should dissolve quite easy. This will be 25 doses at 3x per week it will last a little over 6 weeks.

Bump: If you are wanting a macro mix as well, add 115g in 1000ml container, dose 40ml 3x per week. This also should mix quite well.

Last edited by nilocg; 09-01-2015 at 03:57 PM. Reason: klj;
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 01:26 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Just do a rough tsp. conversion, forget grams. I presume you feed your fish each day. Just takes a few seconds to measure and dump dry fertz when you feed. Would eliminate mixing liquid and maintenance on your auto system. Get some dry fertz in a jar, easier than scooping them out of a bag. Just my opinion...
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilocg View Post
I wouldnt try adding mgso4 into the solution, just dose a gh booster after water changes.

For the macro solution add 185g kno3 and 28g of kh2po4 into 1000ml container, fill with ro water. Dose 40ml of this solution 3x per week to get full EI levels. I know this should dissolve quite easy. This will be 25 doses at 3x per week it will last a little over 6 weeks.

Bump: If you are wanting a macro mix as well, add 115ml in 1000ml container, dose 40ml 3x per week. This also should mix quite well.
thanks, I'll give it a shot. I do dose CSM-B as well, which is the easy solution to mix up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpfaff View Post
Just do a rough tsp. conversion, forget grams. I presume you feed your fish each day. Just takes a few seconds to measure and dump dry fertz when you feed. Would eliminate mixing liquid and maintenance on your auto system. Get some dry fertz in a jar, easier than scooping them out of a bag. Just my opinion...
I don't feed them daily... I need to automate that as well.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 02:26 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
For my 250 gal tank, I used a gallon container, and dosed from it with a little water pump on a 1 min timer. 10 tsp KNO3, 6 tsp K2SO4, and 1 tsp KH2PO4 dissolved well, and this lasted for ~3 weeks with daily automated dosing. Very convenient, never had any problems.

Of course, every tank is different - high light vs low, stocking, water changes, and your dosing quantities/volumes may be different, so just consider it one data point.

I never considered adding ferts manually - it is easy, but that doesn't help when you are on vacations for 3 weeks. Fish are no problem in under-stocked, planted tanks, but regular water changes and fert dosing (and light and CO2) keep things going.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 03:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
thanks, I'll give it a shot. I do dose CSM-B as well, which is the easy solution to mix up.

I don't feed them daily... I need to automate that as well.

Im sure you figured it out, but I meant 115g, not 115ml.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 04:23 PM
Algae Grower

^^^ this guy is good!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode