Im new to dry ferts. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Im new to dry ferts.

I was looking around and the popular belief is that pre-packaged ferts like Flourish arent worth it because they are mostly water, i was wondering if there was a dry fert mixture that is "all in one" with the nutrients that plants need and is all mixed and ready to go, all i would need to do is add water, which i have no idea how much of to add, or if should be distilled, or RO.

Also, i have a 55 gallon tank, i would also be open to a suggestion of just to use flourish, but i want to know what flourish products should i dose, and how often?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 08-26-2015 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 11:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

It isn't hard to mix your own dry ferts and save a bunch of money. I mix boric acid, Plantex CSM, K2SO4, and epsom salts and it has worked for 15 years so far. Easy peasy.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 01:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
the easiest possible way to go is here...
http://nilocg.com/dry-fertilizer/packages/

nilocg is a member here and will answer any questions you may have.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 01:25 AM
Algae Grower

I know next to nothing about how to go about using dry ferts, but I too am interested now that I know where to get them. I assume you make your own root tabs with them?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 01:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornGardens View Post
I know next to nothing about how to go about using dry ferts, but I too am interested now that I know where to get them. I assume you make your own root tabs with them?
Here's you a couple of threads geared towards the EI concept of fertilizing the how, why, how much and other things to consider like lighting.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=517945

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=647697

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=21944

As for root tabs, yes you can make tabs with ferts and clay, many of us use 00 geal caps filled with osmocote+.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Is oscomote+ a plant food? I just googled it and using that in a tank worries me

Last edited by sohankpatel; 08-26-2015 at 01:42 AM. Reason: spelling
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 01:57 AM
Planted Member

A recent post got me reading and reading about this subject and I thought I would throw in my conclusions. First is that dry fertilizer is a lot cheaper to purchase and will last much longer as a result. Second, unless there is reason to do so I would just add dry directly to the tank rather than making a solution. There are reasons to make solutions, but consider just adding it directly unless you come across something about your tank that warrants it. Third, use EI as a starting point and an intro to dry ferts. Later you can continue EI or try one of the others, but EI is simple and will get your plants going.

On a side note, I did order from nilocg. I was considering greenleafaquariums, but ended up with nilocg instead. Either one is fine (or others I am sure), but I liked the EI package from nilocg better since the proportions seemed to fit.

I have a 40 breeder and one EI package will last a very long time. I highly recommend that instead of things like Flourish. Now Flourish Excel on the other hand is something that is totally different and comes recommended by a lot of people without CO2 (and some with). I am using Flourish Excel FWIW.

Root tabs are good too and I would say that if you don't have the top substrate then they should probably be used in addition to EI dosing, but I am not an expert by any means.

ETA: In terms of dosing dry ferts, I like the suggestion of putting the amounts into a weekly pill box (with multiple compartments for each day to keep things separate).

Last edited by Maverick2015; 08-26-2015 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Add
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 02:02 AM
Algae Grower

Whoa... Thanks FatherLandDecendent. Cool name by the way.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 02:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sohankpatel View Post
Is oscomote+ a plant food? I just googled it and using that in a tank worries me
When used in 00 gel caps they are used to supplement heavy root feeders, just push them deep into the substrate so that when the gel caps dissolve the pellets don't work their way to the surface, or they can wreak havoc on the water column. I've been using them for around a year now with no problems, nilocg sells them in his sales threads and on his web site

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2015 View Post
A recent post got me reading and reading about this subject and I thought I would throw in my conclusions. First is that dry fertilizer is a lot cheaper to purchase and will last much longer as a result.
Correct

Quote:
Second, unless there is reason to do so I would just add dry directly to the tank rather than making a solution.
That's what I do, I put a 1/4tsp each (N,P,K) 4x a week, and 1/8tsp CSM+B 3x a week in my CO2 injected high light 40b.

In my low light no tech 29gal tank I put 1/4tsp each N,P,K day of WC, and 1/8tspCSM+B day after WC. If my WC goes more than 14 days I dose that regime again.

Quote:
On a side note, I did order from nilocg. I was considering greenleafaquariums, but ended up with nilocg instead. Either one is fine (or others I am sure), but I liked the EI package from nilocg better since the proportions seemed to fit.

I have a 40 breeder and one EI package will last a very long time. I highly recommend that instead of things like Flourish. Now Flourish Excel on the other hand is something that is totally different and comes recommended by a lot of people without CO2 (and some with). I am using Flourish Excel FWIW.
1 pound of everything will last me a little over a year.

Quote:
Root tabs are good too and I would say that if you don't have the top substrate then they should probably be used in addition to EI dosing, but I am not an expert by any means.
Even if you have the really expensive substrate with heavy root feeders there comes a time when you should supplement the nutrients as substrates tend to "burn out".

Quote:
ETA: In terms of dosing dry ferts, I like the suggestion of putting the amounts into a weekly pill box (with multiple compartments for each day to keep things separate).
That can work, I have done it that way but got tired of filling all the little compartments every week, every other week, once a month....

I found some small lidded containers about 6oz (?) or so at the dollar store, I fill these up every few months and have the tops marked with what they contain. I have one sitting empty and on my N,P,K days (some days I also add baking soda and a gH booster) I just scoop what I need into the empty and take that to the tank and dump it right in. On CSM+B days I just take the 6oz (?) container to the tank with my 1/8tsp measuring spoon, scoop and dump. My iron I dose (I have red plants) is in a pill bottle and my tank gets 1/8tsp day after WC, that bottle I just take to the tank with the CSM+B container and again just scoop and dump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornGardens View Post
Whoa... Thanks FatherLandDecendent. Cool name by the way.
Your welcome, it's FLD for short... And Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 03:26 AM
Planted Member

So I got my dry ferts and thought I would put a quick update here. I can't believe how long this will last for the price. Also, with the small amounts I am going to agree that weekly filling of the pill box would be more trouble than it is worth. However, filling the boxes with the individual ferts that you dose per day might work. So you are scooping from the Monday section on Monday, etc (instead of filling weekly). But really just scooping from the bag is easy enough at my low doses. Speaking of bags, I was glad that the 2 lbs of KNO3 that came from nilocg were in two 1 lb bas so that it is less to bring out each time.

I like the idea of having one empty container to mix in and then bring to the tank as FLD mentioned above. I'll have to think about containers.

Anyway, my conclusion is that dry ferts live up to the hype as I can't see any reason to spend so much on the premixed stuff comparatively.

Now I am debating between dosing once a week or twice a week on my 40b (figure about 36 gallons or so) non-C02 with Excel and medium lighting. I am figuring with 1/4 tsp KNO3 and 1/16 tsp of the others (CSM+B different day of course) twice a week would work with weekly water changes. But if I eventually go every other week or monthly water changes I might have to adjust that.

I wonder how long until you see results...
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 01:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
So I got my dry ferts and thought I would put a quick update here. I can't believe how long this will last for the price. Also, with the small amounts I am going to agree that weekly filling of the pill box would be more trouble than it is worth. However, filling the boxes with the individual ferts that you dose per day might work. So you are scooping from the Monday section on Monday, etc (instead of filling weekly). But really just scooping from the bag is easy enough at my low doses. Speaking of bags, I was glad that the 2 lbs of KNO3 that came from nilocg were in two 1 lb bas so that it is less to bring out each time.

I like the idea of having one empty container to mix in and then bring to the tank as FLD mentioned above. I'll have to think about containers.

Anyway, my conclusion is that dry ferts live up to the hype as I can't see any reason to spend so much on the premixed stuff comparatively.

Now I am debating between dosing once a week or twice a week on my 40b (figure about 36 gallons or so) non-C02 with Excel and medium lighting. I am figuring with 1/4 tsp KNO3 and 1/16 tsp of the others (CSM+B different day of course) twice a week would work with weekly water changes. But if I eventually go every other week or monthly water changes I might have to adjust that.

I wonder how long until you see results...
Here is what I do. I got 1/2 pint wide mouth mason jars.
I started with the metal lids that come with them but I noticed one of them is starting to corrode inside, so I switched over to plastic lids.
Works great, they stack nice; I have one stack of macro and one of micro tucked into the stand.

Then I use measuring spoons I got off Amazon that go all the way down to 1/64 and scoop out of the jar and dump right into the HOB.

Last edited by ichy; 11-02-2016 at 12:30 AM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 02:59 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichy View Post
Here is what I do. I got 1/2 pint wide mouth mason jars.
I started with the metal lids that come with them but I noticed one of them is starting to corrode inside, so I switched over to plastic lids.
Works great, they stack nice; I have one stack of macro and one of micro tucked into the stand.

Then I use measuring spoons I got off Amazon that go all the way down to 1/64 and scoop out of the jar and dump right into the HOB.
Great idea. I was thinking of mason jars, but wasn't sure about the metal lids. The plastic lids seem perfect.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 03:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Great idea. I was thinking of mason jars, but wasn't sure about the metal lids. The plastic lids seem perfect.
Pm me and I will send you a set with the basic labels.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode