Water Softener - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Water Softener

Water from my softener consistently measures nitrite from .25 to .5 PPM.
Source water always measures zero. I'm at a loss as to where this is coming from. The water passes through cylinders filled with carbon before the softener.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 12:39 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
What if you leave the water out for perhaps overnight? Maybe run a bubbler or small pump?

I am wondering if there is something going on that is giving you a bad test result rather than there actually being any NO2 in the filtered water.

What are the other test results:
Before treating.
Right after treating.
24 hours later.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 02:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Do a search but if I remember correctly the general consensus is to use water before it hits the softener. When I was on city water with a softener I always bypassed the softener.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 02:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
What type softener is this and what is used to "soften" the water? There are so many types that work in totally different ways. There's everything from science to voodoo on the market.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Salt and resins.
Source water is on the 350 GH range. Product is close to 35 ppm.

I can deal with the nitrite but just don't get where it's coming from.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 05:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Pretty common ion exchange softener. My first guess might be that the resin bed is packed with some debris. Just guessing but is it possible the softener was run for a time before the filters were added? Possible changing out the resin would solve the question if it becomes a problem, but just guessing ?
When the resin picks up debris and there is no algaecide like silver used in the softener, the resin can become loaded with various types of bacteria, algae, etc. Another item which might cure it is adding a carbon impregnated with silver would clear the resin. This would likely involve pro help to get it done. The silver content makes the carbon pretty expensive and the labor to add it might make a resin tank change more practical.
But then this is also just a theory on what might be the cause.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Rich

Maybe we're getting somewhere now. lol

We have the contracted service company coming tomorrow. They owe me an email today letting me know the last time the resin containers were renewed. They came in Monday but I was off-site most of the day so I'm not sure what that was about. lol

We can use 3,000 gallons some days.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 10:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Just a thought and you know how much those can be worth at times!!
I worked water for a time and part of the deal was a yearly trek out to replace the silver impregated carbon which we put in our resin tanks. Most softeners don't use carbon and certainly not silver in the resin. But we worked an area in and around St. Louis where the water could be great or full of iron or coal. So depending on what went into the resin tank it could get as messy as a fish filter that isn't cleaned for a year. With the silver working as an algaecide and the carbon too, the resin bed would stay clear much better.
May not be anything related to your situation at all though? Replacing the resin and cleaning the tank is a job that can be done but not something to look forward to doing if it can be avoided. We would swap out the tank with a new one with new resin and take the old back to redo it at the shop. Messy, ugly job better not done on customer premise!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The service company swapped out the 4 small resin containers today. We also have 2 more resin canisters that are 6' tall. They ignored them and couldn't tell me the last service date or if the regeneration unit was set properly.

On the phone several times trying to get a promise of a visit from someone with some knowledge.

I was just handed the FW end of husbandry added to my duties in SW. Hoping I can solve some of these problems that have been ignored and costing a lot of money.

Thanks all for the input.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 03:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Progress but with problems as well? Maybe get the better crew next. Good luck! Sometimes progress is tough.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

No fault of anyone in particular. Just some adjustments to insure avoidable problems are avoided.
50,000 square feet of aquatics is a daunting task. lol
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 03:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You are working at it in the right way:
Identify a problem, investigate the real source of the issue and possible solutions.
If you need to run a trial solution, can any part of the system be isolated as a test area?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-29-2015, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
You are working at it in the right way:
Identify a problem, investigate the real source of the issue and possible solutions.
If you need to run a trial solution, can any part of the system be isolated as a test area?
I pulled a sample post carbon and then directly from the salt bin. Both measured zero nitrites. I need to pull product water from the 6' resin cylinders before it reaches what they call the polishing resins.

My other struggle is the carbonate hardness. At about 145 ppm the pH is running 8 plus everywhere. In a newly setup system I'm topping 8.5 this morning. I couldn't keep a marine tank pH that high if I tried. lol
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 12:21 PM
Algae Grower

This problem ending up being the softener resin itself. When the facility move the unit was plumbing wrong and ruined the valves controlling the softening process. The resin was a mass of mush breeding bacteria.
To solve the high alkalinity I'm now using 70% RO and 30% soft water which gives me a finished product water with a dkh of 3. The 9 dkh was preventing pH drop in the shipping bags leaving the ammonia highly toxic.

Previously known as Fresh.Salty

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode