Salinity of water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (50/100%)
Salinity of water

I have some fish coming that are being kept in brackish water. The Specific gravity is 1.017. I want to transition them back to fresh water. So my question is. How much sea salt would I need to add to 4 gallons of fresh water to achieve the 1.017 SG.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 01:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Not sure, I don't play with salt. HOWEVER they make hygrometers and refractometers, one is really expensive say $80 the others... are sub $10... the cheap ones are slightly less accurate, but for your application should be more than sufficient. They'll be able to tell you exactly what your specific gravity is

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 02:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Get a hygrometer that will read at the low end of the range, and start mixing.
Use the salt and mineral mix sold for ocean tanks, do not just add salt to tap water.

Get the water right, the best you can, then test the water in the bag when the fish arrive. This will make sure that if your hygrometer is a little bit off you can make a last minute adjustment in the water. You can add more water, if your tank has too much salt and minerals, or you can add a little more salt and mineral mix if needed.

To acclimate the fish to fresh water or to water that is more like the ocean let it take time. Do small water changes perhaps twice a week with water that is just a little bit different from what the fish are used to.
Over a period of about a month the fish will gradually acclimate to the new water parameters.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 02:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
It depends on the brand. I use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals on my reef tank, so here's my calculations:
.5 cups sea salt per gallon for 1 gallon of saltwater (1.025 SG)
(.5/1.025)=(x/1.017)
1.025*x=.5085
x~=~.496 cups for one gallon
4x (the amount of salt for 4 gallons)=1.984 cups of salt.

However, you may use a different brand. Therefore the amount of salt you'd need would be different. Grab a cheap hydrometer, and start mixing. Be warned, that some hydrometers need to be kept at certain temperatures to be accurate.

May I ask which fish you're acclimating from brackish to freshwater? Some fish live in brackish-saltwater that should go to saltwater later on. Others live in brackish-freshwater that should really be freshwater. Still others need to stay in a brackish environment. 1.017 is a really high salinity, especially for some brackish species, and you'd hate to accidentally kill the fish if it was a brackish-saltwater species, right?

So many fish to keep, not enough aquaria.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (50/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichthyogeek View Post
It depends on the brand. I use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals on my reef tank, so here's my calculations:
.5 cups sea salt per gallon for 1 gallon of saltwater (1.025 SG)
(.5/1.025)=(x/1.017)
1.025*x=.5085
x~=~.496 cups for one gallon
4x (the amount of salt for 4 gallons)=1.984 cups of salt.

However, you may use a different brand. Therefore the amount of salt you'd need would be different. Grab a cheap hydrometer, and start mixing. Be warned, that some hydrometers need to be kept at certain temperatures to be accurate.

May I ask which fish you're acclimating from brackish to freshwater? Some fish live in brackish-saltwater that should go to saltwater later on. Others live in brackish-freshwater that should really be freshwater. Still others need to stay in a brackish environment. 1.017 is a really high salinity, especially for some brackish species, and you'd hate to accidentally kill the fish if it was a brackish-saltwater species, right?
Pseudomugil Cynodorsalis.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode