dosing pump - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
dosing pump

I'm seriously thinking about setting up a dosing pump.
I'm currently doing EI with dry ferts.

I don't want to move away from the cheap dry ferts, so what's the best way to do this? Mix the dry into water and then pump it in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 12:11 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exactly. I have had a DP-4 dosing pump for about 2 weeks, seems to be working good and was a more economical than other ones I was looking at. Currently dosing Macros, Micros, and Metracide. I measure out 2 weeks worth of ferts and combine with RO water. I add a little metracide to the micros and macros to stop mold from forming.
IUnknown and IUnknown like this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

That is the one I'm thinking about.
So how do you mix?
I'm thinking something like take a liter of water for say 30 days. If I dose every other day, 1000ml/15doses is 66.6ml per dose.

So mix in 15 "doses" of dry fert into the water and dissolve it then set the pump to 66.6ml every other day and should be good to go for a month.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 12:48 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have used a dosing pump with dry ferts mixed with water for about 15 years. It's the only way to go!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 01:23 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
I am going to watch this thread. Noticed the ~$90 pumps on Amazon and was curious if they were good or not. Could someone as part of this thread also drop a quick part list that would be needed?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 01:48 AM
Algae Grower

How much Metracide are you adding for a mold inhibitor?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 12:57 PM
Algae Grower

Aside from 3 containers the only other part that I purchased was black airline tubing to slow down growth and excel break down in the tubes.

For dosing this is what I do:

I measure out 15 days worth of ferts and metracide. I then combine the ferts, 20ml of metracide and RO water to make a 500ml solution. I combine the 15 doses of metracide and RO water for the third container. I then dose 34 mils per day (500/15).

My dosing right now for my medium tech 72G is Micros at 4am, Macros at 5am, and excel (1/2 dosed) at 6am and 9am.

The 20ml of metracide I use to stop mold only turns out to be 1.3 mils per dose into the tank (only should really matter if you are running a really small tank).

The reason I dilute the ferts in 500ml or water is because this allows me to change my fert strength without playing with the pump and pushes more through the lines every dose so you do not have stuff sitting in the lines for a few days (my setup holds about 20ml in the tubing)

I have 1.5 liter dosing containers. At water changes I check the containers and if it is below 250ml I add another 500.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 04:31 PM
Algae Grower

You'll need a way to hold the tubing above the tank water. A graduated cylinder would be good to have for calibrating the pumps.

What time do your lights come on?

I've been dosing macros one hour before lights and micros three hours after.
I want the iron to be available near the peak photo period and lessen the chance it will react with the macros.
I don't know if my thinking is right, but that's what I do.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 08:22 PM
Algae Grower

Instead of buying a graduated cylinder to calibrate the pumps I would use a scale (1mL=1g). A scale will also come in handy when measuring out dry ferts because it is more accurate than teaspoons and such. Just make sure you get one that has a good range/accuracy for what you will be using it for.

If you are talking about getting a Jebao autodoser you will also need two check valves. Mine was syphoning back down the tubing before adding check valves and it was making it so that my pump would not dose correctly.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-25-2015, 11:07 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
What pumps are you getting? You can get peristaltic pumps fairly cheap. They're accurate and won't allow back flow.

You can use those fancy fertilizer calculators to figure out the dosing.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 01:52 AM
Algae Grower

For holding the tubes above the tank I had them zip-tied to one of the canister returns (which would have worked for a while) until my 4 tube holder arrived.

For lights I am running a Finnex planted 24/7 in 24/7 mode so lights start around 6 but dont get really bright until noonish. PPS Pro is dosed at the same time (micros and macros) so I figured one hour in between should(?) be ok.

I have not had the pump drain yet. According to the site I purchased it from there was an update in the june time frame that corrected it. Will update if I see it happen though.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 01:58 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
For holding the tubes above the tank I had them zip-tied to one of the canister returns (which would have worked for a while) until my 4 tube holder arrived.

For lights I am running a Finnex planted 24/7 in 24/7 mode so lights start around 6 but dont get really bright until noonish. PPS Pro is dosed at the same time (micros and macros) so I figured one hour in between should(?) be ok.

I have not had the pump drain yet. According to the site I purchased it from there was an update in the june time frame that corrected it. Will update if I see it happen though.
I will either CAD up some custom line holder and 3D print it or cut and assemble something out of acrylic.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 02:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsnow View Post
Instead of buying a graduated cylinder to calibrate the pumps I would use a scale (1mL=1g). A scale will also come in handy when measuring out dry ferts because it is more accurate than teaspoons and such. Just make sure you get one that has a good range/accuracy for what you will be using it for.

If you are talking about getting a Jebao autodoser you will also need two check valves. Mine was syphoning back down the tubing before adding check valves and it was making it so that my pump would not dose correctly.
Did you put another hole besides the tubing hole? If not then the container is creating back pressure which is sucking the liquid back to the container.

@OP: Dosing pumps are the way to go. Consistent dosing means you can test your water parameters and should get consistent results allowing you to tweak nutrient levels properly.

Dosing pumps are another addition to the hobby that gives you more time to prune and enjoy your tank rather than doing maintenance work. The Jebao pumps are cheap. At $75-80 with 4 pump heads it is a bargain. You have enough to cover nutrients plus excel or nutrients plus top off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 10:11 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortalMasteryRy View Post
Did you put another hole besides the tubing hole? If not then the container is creating back pressure which is sucking the liquid back to the container.
This could have been what was causing my problem. Whatever it was, check valves are very inexpensive and my Jebao peristaltic pump now works great.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 09:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quick question about this. Do you make two solutions, one with micros and one with macros, or 1 solution with everything in there?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode