Adjusting CO2 to Emersed Grown HC - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)
Adjusting CO2 to Emersed Grown HC

Hey all,

I've recently started up an iwagumi using HC as the main foreground. Please mind that I am using pots of HC that were grown emersed and not doing the DSM (I should have). I'm aware that you should blast the CO2 when dealing with emersed grown plants, but I was wondering when I should start dialing down the CO2 to optimal ppms for fish in the future.

Thanks,
Sub

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 08:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Why would you "blast the CO2" at any time? The plants will have to adapt to submersed growing in any case, so why not give them time to adjust to the level of CO2 you will be using on a day to day basis? Blasting the CO2 would probably just delay their adaptation - my opinion only.

Hoppy
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

"Blast" is just an exaggeration haha, I just mean turning up the CO2. I've been told to up the CO2 to ease the transition between emersed to submersed and avoid melting. Is this not the case?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 01:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
You can't hurt the plants by increasing the amount of CO2 in the water, as long as you don't go hog wild doing it. And, that might speed up the transition to submersed growth, but I doubt it. What will happen though is that when you finally drop the amount of CO2 in the water, so you can add fish to the tank, that drop in CO2 will trigger a big attack of BBA, a very unpleasant experience.

Hoppy
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 01:57 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (131/100%)
In my experience, which amounts to two different times buying emersed pots and planting straight away, HC transitions fairly easy from emersed to submerged.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hoppy, you do bring up a good point. I'd rather deal with melting (not dying) plants than BBA.

& thanks for the tips burr, I've dealt with emersed HC as well, but only once, and have thought it was beginners luck that it carpeted out.

Thanks for the input guys, I think I know what I'll do now

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 12:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
You'll be fine. IME HC is an easy plant as long as you have good CO2 and medium light.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode