Drop in O2 after water change - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Drop in O2 after water change

So ive been noticing after i do a water change, and add ferts the oxygen level in my tank drops and my fish are at the top trying to get more air. For ferts i add seacum K, P, and N, and i also do CO2. I do notice when i put the ferts in the tank without doing the water change it get cloudy for like a day. Its a heavily planted tank, at least in my opinion, but i do have an air pump in the tank. The parameters in my my tank are fine, might be on the boarder of needing attention, but nothing crazy I was just wondering if anyone has seen this happen before, and would be interested what what people have done
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 04:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

O2 Level in Tank

Hello Spud...

You're probably not removing and replacing enough water. If you're not doing at least 50 percent of the tank's volume, then you should be. More, say 60 percent would be better and do this every week. Water that constantly moves through a filter loses it's ability to sustain whatever lives in it. The longer the same water stays in the tank the more it changes for the worse. As new water goes into the tank, it's mixing a lot of O2 into it. So, just change more water and your fish and plants will get more oxygen.

As far as CO2, there's plenty in the surrounding air to support most aquatic plants. Unless you're keeping demanding plants that require bright light, you don't need added CO2. Just a thought.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 05:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuddnick View Post
So ive been noticing after i do a water change, and add ferts the oxygen level in my tank drops and my fish are at the top trying to get more air. For ferts i add seacum K, P, and N, and i also do CO2. I do notice when i put the ferts in the tank without doing the water change it get cloudy for like a day. Its a heavily planted tank, at least in my opinion, but i do have an air pump in the tank. The parameters in my my tank are fine, might be on the boarder of needing attention, but nothing crazy I was just wondering if anyone has seen this happen before, and would be interested what what people have done
Presently using Seachem also but soon changing to dry.
Never noticed cloudy water though.

Temperature can also effect dissolved gases in the aquarium.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 05:24 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have a high tech tank and dose seachem. Never had an issue. Using up the last of them though currently and changing to EI ferts to save some money. Seachem is good, but expensive. I do about a 40% change every sunday.

I know you supposed to dose Trace and Flourish on alternating days, do you do that?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 06:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Maybe you are dosing too much co2 or too much ferts. Or simply not enough surface agitation.

Do you happen to have low pH/soft acidic water/low hardness water?
Do you know the pH values before and after co2 dosing?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 08:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

Sounds like some kind of chemical problem. What are you doing when you change the water? Are you treating it in the tank and adding the chemicals dry or what? Why do you think o2 is the problem? It shouldn't be after a water change I would think it would actually be higher.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

BBradBury: So when i do a water change its around 50%. most likely a little less. I have to do the CO2 or my steam plants just melt away. The agitation at the surface could be alot better, but my mom complains and says its too noisy when i try to fix it. It was a losing battle so gave up on that. SO the only thing really agitating the surface is the air bubles

MArland Guppy: As for temperature i tend to have it on the higher range around 78-80. 80 rarely.

Waterlife, you may be right cause i try to put a little higher than normal on the ferts when i put them in during a water change. I dont get alot of time, most of the time none at all, during the week to work on the tank during the week. AS for hardness and pH i have hard water like really hard and my pH is around 7-7.5. I have tested the pH before when i had this problem, as in affter i put it in, and didnt notice a large change

BruceF: My water change procedure; remove the old water, get new and place the the ferts in the new water, and there liquid.
And as for o2 being my problem, its just a hypothesis. It may not be very soundd cause not all the fish are afffected by whats happening, the small fish are fine and the plecos and cat fish do not seem to be bothered by it. And i agreed with you on it being higher, i know water chemistry can get crazy, and im a geologist not a chemist, but i do know certain things can affect the amount of oxygen in the water column, so thats really what in going off of
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 11:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Sometimes gas levels (including oxygen) are low in tap water.
Try this:
When you run the tap water into the tank run it slowly, and aim it to sheet across the water surface, with some serious ripples going on. This will expose the tap water to the air long enough to pick up some oxygen, if this is the problem.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-23-2015, 11:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

Are you adding the FE at the same time as the rest? You have hard water and I would guess something is not dissolving or something is precipitating out of the water.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 01:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

Increasing O2

Hello again Spud...

You can add a small air stone if you like. It will agitate the water and add a small amount of O2. Remember, that agitating the water surface will drive off some of the CO2. I still think a more aggressive water change routine will help. The more water you change and the more often you change it, the better.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 01:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Question: How much of a drop are we talking about here?

In theory, tap water dechlorinators are reducing agents, and will cause a small drop in O2 levels. This drop shouldn't be anything large enough to cause any worry.

New to planted tanks, avid gardener/tinkerer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fluval C4 + Quietflow 30, Finnex Planted+ with
, low-tech.
10 gallon secondary tank with Finnex stingray with
, AC20, low tech
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i rarely use Fe, even if i use a little i start seeing black beard algea on my anubias. but when i do i get a gallon of fresh water and mix it there first

as for the the amount of O2 drop, i honestly have no idea how much it drops because i dont have any way to test it other than watching the reaction of the fish, and when 90% of the fish in the tank are at the top trying to breath strait air im guessing its higher than what it would normally be

What my plan of attack is for the future is to increase the amount of water i change and add the new water in slower than i have been doing. ive always had an air stone in the tank and im just gonna keep that there
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-24-2015, 04:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuddnick View Post
A lot of cities add CO2 to their tap water, so you might have very high concentrations of CO2 right after the water change which might send the fish to the surface where O2 concentrations will be higher.

Thanks,
Harry

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode